Alfonso Ribeiro of ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel Air’ is back, and he’s leading a Carlton dance flash mob.
- RSVP: The First 90 Days Discussion Forum
- Inaugural Meeting of ELGL-Eugene
- Save the Date: Happy New (Fiscal) Year Party is July 19
- 04.20.12 Knope of the Week
- RSVP for ELGL Forum with Patrick Quinton, PDC Executive Director
- Charities of the Week
- 04.24.12 The Morning Buzz
The Social Network
The Best Social Media Cities — Local Governments Ranked – Where does your city government rank in its usage of Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, according to a University of Illinois at Chicago study?
Stay connected by following these feeds.
Voter registration deadline is Tuesday – The deadline to register to vote in the May primary election is Tuesday. Already registered?
Now Is the Time for Gen Y Leaders – Here’s a thought experiment for you. Take a deep breath, clear your head and think for a little while about what kind of leadership the world is going to need in the future. Need a jump start?
Five reasons why volunteering can help you to establish your career – Develop new skills, make new contacts, and even new friends plus it’s a great way to make employers notice your CV. Here’s why volunteering is a real career kick-starter
7 innovative ideas for engaging public employees – J. Michael Wilkes, City Manager of Olathe, Kansas recently facilitated a fascinating session on organizational culture at the Alliance for Innovation’s Transforming Local Government Conference.
Portland Mayor Adams releases first budget proposals – Mayor Sam Adams on Monday released the first of his proposed agency budgets for next fiscal year’s budget. Because of declining property values and the sluggish economy, the City Council must cut approximately $17 million in discretionary general fund dollars from the budget that begins on July 1.
Joe Gall tapped for Sherwood city manager slot – “We had outstanding finalists to choose from,” said Mayor Keith Mays. “Joe has done an outstanding job in Fairview and I’m confident, as soon as we reach terms, (he’ll) do an outstanding job for Sherwood.”
Company town: Why can’t Salem draw big companies – The Portland area has Nike’s headquarters, Intel’s multi-billion dollar campus, and a Daimler Trucks North America corporate office and factory. In Salem, the big fish always seems to get away.
Green Infrastructure Could Save Cities Billions – New estimates find that moving toward sustainability can greatly reduce energy and water treatment costs.
These Cities Really Hate Junk Mail – Which American communities have made the strongest attempts to suppress postal advertising?
County axes four staff positions – Facing down a tight 2012-13 fiscal-year budget, Clatsop County plans to lay off four staffers.
Reed Names John Kroger Next College President – Retiring Oregon Attorney General John Kroger has been named the next president of Reed College.
Inside the UGB
- Steve Novick releases City Council ad: Portland City Hall roundup
- John Ludlow leads fundraising race for Clackamas County chair
- Two Beaverton roadway projects appear on county’s shortlist
- Proposed zoning code changes around growing, selling and buying food to be considered
- Hearing on proposed water plant expansion continues Wednesday
- Nike billionaire Phil Knight contributes to Ellen Rosenblum campaign for Oregon Attorney General
- Mayor Sam Adams consolidates two city bureaus; longest-serving city director retires
Outside the UGB
- City of Bend : News : City refinances debt to save nearly $2.5 million
- WINE: New study shows state industry worth $8.6 billion
- The city of Bainbridge Island is spending far less than it should be on roads, report finds
- Mercer Island Names Treat Deputy City Manager