Public employees base salary only half of total compensation, PSU study shows - Base salary only makes up half the total cost of compensation for public employees in Oregon. Indeed, the value of overtime, paid time off, medical and post-retirement benefits, plus a host of other additions often exceeds base wages, according to a study released this week by Portland State University’s Center for Public Service.
Open Budget Application Improves Palo Alto, Calif.’s Accessibility - Palo Alto, Calif., launched a new interactive Web tool on Wednesday, Sept. 19, for viewing and analyzing city budget information, which city officials said may be the first of its kind.
The Geography of the 47% - The states with the highest share of tax non-payers may actually contain the very conservative votes that Romney needs.
One Question: Should Portland Have OK’d Fluoridation Without a Vote of the People? - The Portland City Council voted unanimously Sept. 12 to fluoridate Portland’s water by mid-2014. Foes, seeking to refer the question.
Block Busters – The urban density Charlie Hales championed has arrived on Division Street. Why isn’t he celebrating?
Inside the UGB
- Gresham citywide fee comments split — half for, half against — at town hall
- Track Town heads east
- “Speed date” the Lake Oswego mayoral, council candidates at First Addition forum
- Delayed TVF&R station construction prompts closer look at building code for urban unincorporated areas
- Councilors unanimously call for thorough examination of coal’s impacts
- Transportation expert Steve Lockwood focuses on operation and cooperation at seminar
- Tigard City Councilor forgets to disclose conflict at meeting
- West Linn couple may have to remove illegally built pool, pay fines
- Unpaved roads an affront to values
- Baseball on deck for Hillsboro
- Portland’s Next Mayor Will Face A Wobbly Balance Sheet
Outside the UGB
- First look at new Sammamish budget
- Tehachapi City Manager named as finalist in film group awards
- State approves La Pine land-use plan, UGB
- Tenino mayor under fire over ‘intimate moment’ in city car
- City Council plans to send letter of concern over proposed casino
A Conversation with Jefferson Smith - Our third meeting for the busy month of September will be with Jefferson Smith – City of Portland Mayoral Candidate. This event will take place on September 28th at noon. Our meeting will be brown bag so please feel free to bring your lunch.
How To Tame Your Inner Control Freak - “I consider myself an enabler more than a manager, but I’m also a bit of a control freak,” says Toronto-based Katie Taylor, 55, the chief executive of luxury hotel brand Four Seasons.
How to be Pregnant and CEO: 5 Tips – It’s absolutely possible to be pregnant, or a new mother, and a CEO at the same time. Some words of wisdom from someone who’s been there.
Is Your Career Bleeding You Dry? The saying goes that you have to spend money to make money. But there’s a difference between investing in career success and indulging in unnecessary business expenses. The problem is this: Some of the very things seen as investments are also just one step away—and maybe, one extra zero on your credit-card bill—from extraneous spending.
Unhappy at Work? Find Out Where You Fit. ViewsOnYou, an online platform launched in March, enables users to search for companies that match their personality profile. Users can build a profile by inviting peers to rate them on 23 traits, such as appetite for risk, sociability and career ambition. The process takes about three minutes, and could help guide your next job search.
Why Business Meetings Are Often a Waste of Time — and Productivity - Internal meetings are the bane of corporate life. There are too many meetings, they take too long, and they get too little accomplished.
The Social Network
How Pinterest can boost your press release results - Pinterest is taking over social media. Why not? It’s fun, highly addictive and newly announced as the third-most-popular social network in the world. It’s creeping up on Facebook with 11-plus million users.
Facebook: Bloomberg Government
Twitter: WCCLS Libraries
Pinterest:St. Charles Parish Government