I’m delving into the world of “National Days” on a quest to create more meaningful engagement between our prosecutor’s office and the public. Some of these are fun, most are about food, and a few are just downright bizarre. It is simultaneously National Dolphin Day and National Ex Spouse Day. So while we celebrate the dolphins, let’s chat about ‘safe sites’, gigabit wireless, and Facebook Live.
What I’m Reading – An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield
What I’m Doing – Fighting off Facebook Trolls
What I want to know from you – What’s the bare minimum amount of sleep you need to function?
Cities considering ‘safe sites’ for hard drug use. You hear about the war on drugs everywhere, but there is a slow societal shift happening. Health officials and law enforcement alike no longer want to wage war, they want users to seek treatment. Treating the drug epidemic as a disease seems to be the only clear way to win this battle, but I’m still not convinced allowing open use is the answer.
San Jose, Calif., Partners With Facebook Connectivity Lab to Test Gigabit Wi-Fi. San Jose will be one of Facebook Connectivity Lab’s first examples of how the Terragraph network might be used to cheaply scale high-bandwidth wireless connectivity for a high volume of users.
Facebook Launches Live Video Feature: What Does it Mean for Government? The new feature could make it easier for state and local governments to get their messages out to the people who already care enough to follow them.
- Break it Down: A Billion Points of Data
- The Debut of ELGL Live
- Portland Job Board 04.13.16
- Online Engagement Gone Wrong
Upcoming ELGL Events
- Webinar: Fiscal Command Center Webinar – Wednesday, April 20. 2016
- Webinar: Future Schedule Technology Efficiency Series – New Webinar Every Month
- Geography and the Minimum Wage
- Equipment teams win fleet management awards
- California city saves time and money with fast-charging radio batteries
- Workforce Disrupted: Major Changes Ahead for Public-Sector IT Workforces
- Another Reason to Love Urban Green Space: It Fights Crime
- Do More With Less (Really!): 3 Common Challenges in Local Government
Local Gov Confidential
- Baltimore government votes to limit mayoral power
- Mapping California’s Racial Bias in Sentencing Traffic Violations
- After Backlash, North Carolina’s Governor ‘Clarifies’ Anti-LGBT Law