Today is 4/20. According to someone younger than me, this means people around the US are “getting high.”
So, in honor of this auspicious and confusing holiday, I am celebrating all things that get high. It’s time to get high on some #MorningBuzz.
What I’m Listening to: The Timbers
What I’m Doing – Planning our City’s first big arts and music festival
What I want to know from you – Did you inhale?
Maggie, the 30-year-old Australian Sheep Dog, has died: Maggie the Kelpie, an Australian dog that was possibly the oldest canine in the world, has died. Owner Brian McLaren, a dairy farmer in Woolsthorp, Victoria, confirmed the news to The Weekly Times. “She was 30 years old, she was still going along nicely last week, she was walking from the dairy to the office and growling at the cats and all that sort of thing.”
Criminal Charges are coming in the water crisis in Flint, Michigan: Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette will announce criminal charges today in connection with his ongoing investigation of the Flint drinking water crisis, three sources familiar with the investigation told the Free Press on Tuesday. Officials believe the city got artificially low lead readings because they didn’t test the homes most at risk — those with lead service lines or other features putting them at high risk for lead. Among those to be charged is a City of Flint official who signed a document saying the homes Flint used to test tap water under the federal Lead and Copper Rule all had lead service lines — a statement investigators allege was false.
Was the New York Primary a preview of the General Election in Nov? Primary season is far from over. Neither Donald Trump nor Hillary Clinton is fully guaranteed to win the parties’ respective nominating contests. And both major parties will be doing a lot of politicking, voting, and arm-twisting between now and the conventions in July. But, when all is said and done, it may well turn out that the 2016 general-election campaign began in midtown Manhattan on Tuesday night.
- Finding Local Government with Cassie Tucker, City of Southlake, TX
- The ELGL Local Government Video Countdown
- UNC Job Listings 04.18.16
- Who Are You? with Stephanie Watkins-Cruz, UNC MPA
- Between 2 Interns with Hillsboro, OR City Manager Michael Brown
Upcoming ELGL Events
- Webinar: Fiscal Command Center Webinar – Wednesday, April 20. 2016
- Webinar: Future Schedule Technology Efficiency Series – New Webinar Every Month
Local Gov Confidential
- One Florida city becomes the first to subsidize Uber rides
- How a data inquiry helped reshape the D.C.’s Urban Forestry Administration
- The State of Utah declares porn a public health hazard
- Do local governments need to play a role in mental health?
- One artist turns racist neighborhood complaints into pieces of art
- NY Museum of Modern Art is closing its architecture and design galleries
- The government spent (wasted?) $18 trying to uproot marijuana plants in the US