Happy Palindrome Day! If you use the standard Month/Day/Year date format than today can be written the same forward and backward. Today’s #MorningBuzz is dedicated to all those brave palindromes out there that make the world stop and go, “Wow.”
What I’m Reading: Smarter, Faster, Better: Charles Duhigg
What I’m Listening to: The Temp Tats
What I’m Doing: Getting pumped as I am managing my first major arts/music festival here in 10 days.
Kansas Senate may vote to condemn Obama transgender restroom decree: On the last day of the legislature’s day it will attempt to pass a new resolution because nothing makes sense in Kansas anymore. Senate Majority Leader Terry Bruce said President Barack Obama “overstepped his bounds.” The state’s leading LGBT group will rally Wednesday at the Statehouse to oppose the resolution.
Young voter to D.C; we don’t need you: Morgan Bettes started her downtown music-promotion company 11 months ago armed with business savvy and a lot of hope. She’s not relying on government policy, nor the outcome of the November election, to give her much help. “I probably should be thinking about that, but I don’t,” said Bettes, who’s 27. Just like so many others in her generation. Unlike their parents, younger people don’t regard Washington – or their presidential votes next fall – as an important force behind their economic well-being.
Former Employees Call Trump University a “Façade” That “Preyed Upon the Elderly and Uneducated”: Hundreds of pages of documents in a class-action lawsuit against the now-defunct Trump University were unsealed Tuesday, revealing damning testimony from former employees. Trump, who was chairman of the for-profit school, had called the judge in the case a “hater” and a “Mexican, which is great .”
Georgian Neo-Nazis Throw Sausages at Vegans During Rick and Morty Screening: Guys, you can’t make this shit up. According to Buzzfeed, a screening of the Adult Swim series Rick and Morty at a vegan cafe in the country of Georgia was interrupted on Sunday when a group of neo-fascist skinheads entered and began throwing grilled meat, sausages and fish inside.
Trending on ELGL
- 05.31.16 Jobs, Jobs, Jobs (Lost Boys Remix)
- Break it Down: Can We Build It?
- Weekly Update – 05.29.16
- The Hottest Takes Ever with Matt Lorenzen, Historic Willamette
- Nominations for the 1st Annual “Trending Now” Award – Updated 5/27 at 1:43 PM
- June 15 & 16 – GOVERNING Summit on Leadership & Innovation at Seelbach Hotel, Louisville KY
- June 1 – 10 Rules for Great City Websites With Luke Fretwell at anymeeting.com/elglwebinar
- June 16 – Technology Efficiency Series: Trello at anymeeting.com/elglwebinar
- June 21 to 24 – Association of Washington Cities Conference at Edward D. Hansen Conference Center, Everett WA
- June 22 to 24 – WCMA & ILCMA Summer Conference at The Abbey, Fontana WI
Local Gov Confidential
- A look back at Chicago’s public housing
- Why won’t Mayor Rahm grant Alderman Sue Garza unpaid leave from CPS?
- Nextdoor app connects local police to residents to bolster public safety efforts
- Introducing a New Map for Semi-Autonomous Cars
- San Francisco’s Public Transit App Will Let You Rate Your Commute
- Yes, Paris Is Banning Cars Built Before 1997
- An Accurate Answer to an Interesting Question: Are Compact Neighborhoods Really Most Affordable?
- A Chicago Bike Path Goes Underused
- What happened when an already-crazed city charged people to reserve space at a public park