I’m doing a happy dance right now. My youngest child is now tall enough to ride real roller coasters!!! Warning: this post may cause motion sickness, but let’s talk about Uber saving Pittsburgh, the Confederate flag being removed from a stained glass window, and the rescue plan for Detroit’s schools.
What I’m Listening To– #ThrowbackThursday on Spotify.
What I’m Doing – Managing registration for an addiction and recovery conference.
What I want to know from you – What is your favorite roller coaster?
Can a wonked-out reality competition help save the American city? The public-private effort reflects a surge of similar ambitions elsewhere. Cities across the country, with a nudge from Washington, are trying to remake themselves by taking an expansive view of the role of transportation in their civic lives.
National Cathedral Will Remove Confederate Flag Stained Glass Windows. Rather than replacing them quietly, the National Cathedral has used this as an opportunity to openly discuss racism in America and learn from those discussions.
Using Literature as a Force for Good Among Austin’s Homeless Population. Through book donations and creative writing classes, one man is giving back to a community of which he was once a part.
- Data Download: Measures to Meaning
- Break it Down: Increasing Women in Local Government Leadership
- 24 Hours in Fort Lauderdale with ELGL & QScend
- The Millennial Generation—Is There a Challenge to Civic Engagement?
- 06.07.16 Jobs, Jobs, Jobs (Jonah Ryan for Congress)
Upcoming ELGL Events
- June 15 & 16 – GOVERNING Summit on Leadership & Innovation at Seelbach Hotel, Louisville KY
- June 16 – Technology Efficiency Series: Trello at anymeeting.com/elglwebinar
- June 21 to 24 – Association of Washington Cities Conference at Edward D. Hansen Conference Center, Everett WA
- June 22 to 24 – WCMA & ILCMA Summer Conference at The Abbey, Fontana WI
- Legislature OKs $617M Detroit Public Schools rescue plan
- Santa Clara County to Vote on Tax for Silicon Valley BART Extension
- Cities Facing Lawsuits Over New Homeless Crackdowns
- Mapping the Hidden Patterns of Urban Life
- Medical marijuana becomes legal in Ohio
- North Carolina Wants To Ban Public Access to Police Camera Footage
- Mapping 6,000 Years of Urban Settlements
- Browse More Than 1,000 National Park Maps, All in One Place
Local Gov Confidential