It’s a day of reflection. I read that this year’s high school freshmen will learn about September 11, 2001 as history – it occurred before most of them were born. I wonder what effect 9/11 will have on them, as compared to the effects it has had on me. Most specifically, the fact that it was a huge motivator for me to focus my career on public service. I applied to graduate school that winter, and started at UNC in 2002.
The “My Life in Presidential Terms” column has been a great way to learn more about the motivators for ELGL members as they’ve pondered which career choices to make. I often wonder, though, if the series went back farther than eight years, how many people would – like me – cite 9/11 as one of those key motivators to pursue a life in public service. Is this true for you? If not, what motivated you to pursue a local government career? We’d love to share your story on ELGL.org.
It was another busy week for ELGL, with new members joining, new “I Love BBQ” profiles, and some incredible blog content from guest authors Will Doerfer, Casey Earp, Matt Horn, Brittany Bennett and Henry Boyd. And, the ELGL schedule is as busy as ever with conferences galore in the next two months.
Connect – Upcoming Events:
Connect – Build Your Network:
- Welcome to ELGL! We added 30 new members to the ELGL family!
- We featured a host of people who love BBQ (they’ll be attending our event with ICMA at #ICMA16 in KCMO – learn more about each of the attendees before you arrive at the event):
- Angelica Wedell, NRC
- Seth Hoffman, Lone Tree, CO
- Richard Brown, Somerset, MA
- Tom Miller, NRC
- Karen Kapusta-Pofahl, KU MPA Student
- Kristee Trelli, QScend
- Nick Kittle, Adams County, CO
- Jessica Chase, Qscend
- Angela Cho, LA County, CA
- Jonathan Pape, River Forest, IL
- Hunter Beal, NAPA Integrated Business Solutions
- Heather Geyer, Wheat Ridge, CO
- Alma Janabajab, Santa Barbara, CA
- Karen Daly, Texas
- Pam Easter, ICMA
- Carly Patten, Durham, NC
- Ashley Sonoff, Gresham, OR & Multnomah County, OR
- Laura Minnich, West Covina, CA
Connect – Job Postings & Recruitments:
Communicate – Content:
- Will Doerfer with Martin-McGill Inc., writes about the best ways to recruit and retain the best local government employees.
- Casey Earp with Bang the Table shares his perspectives on transitioning to a job outside of local government.
- Matt Horn from Geneva, NY lends his story to the “My Life in Presidential Terms” series.
- She’s back! Brittany Benn reimagines accountability in her blog series which looks at government from the outside.
- Learn from Henry Boyd about the long range planning efforts in Greenville, NC.
- Kent’s “Confidential” shares where he was on September 11, 2011.
- Morning Buzz provided your daily local gov updates:
- I’m heading to Mackinac Island this week with Bridget Doyle for the Michigan Municipal Leage conference. We’re running this “Top o’ the Mitten” blog to chronicle the trip.
- Luke Fretwell told us the local gov website analytics that you should be tracking. Read more in his GovQ series.
- Bonus! episode of GovLove; in this ep, Ben talks to Chris Maddox from Seneca Systems about everything from government transparency to how investment in university professors can have a long-term effect on economic development.
- Kent is planning ahead for a special GovLove episode where he talks to some local gov superstars about how their public service perspectives have changed since becoming dads.
- And, I sat down with Ed Krafcik (unfortunately, not on a Soofa bench) to talk about smart cities and smart urban furniture appliances.
Questions? Comments? Drop me a note and let me know how ELGL can best serve you!