I’m home after a whirlwind four days of traveling to, around, and from Michigan. I flew, rode buses, drove, and took a ferry. Lots of transportation options. I was with my dear friend Bridget Doyle who is incredibly dedicated to our mission of connecting, communicating and educating about local government.
At Bridget’s prompting, the Michigan Municipal League added a session to its annual conference to specifically address how local governments can appeal to early career professionals. In fact, MML’s decision to address this topic stems directly from a tweet that Bridget sent to them when she read the tweets coming from a prior MML conference where there was a decidedly negative tone about “millennials.” Bridget encouraged positive action and discussion, instead of stereotyping generations.
Voila! MML added a session, and I had the chance to travel with Bridget to one of the loveliest places in America. Credit goes to Bridget for proposing action, and to MML for taking her ideas seriously. Please remember this story the next time you’re at a conference and you notice that it’s missing a valuable perspective that ELGL can provide.
Connect – Upcoming Events:
Connect – Build Your Network:
- Welcome to ELGL! We added 25 new members to the ELGL family! We also welcomed two new organizational members – the city of Monterey Park, CA and the city of Crestwood, MO.
- Here’s a special shout out to our org members – your organization can join for $250 and this means that your entire organization can join ELGL, with access to premium content, job postings and events.
- We featured a host of people who love BBQ (they’ll be attending our event with ICMA at #ICMA16 in KCMO – learn more about each of the attendees before you arrive at the event):
- Beverly Moses, Fairfax County, VA
- Caleb Wolf, Maryland Municipal League
- Mike Ekey, Raymore, MO
- Dorothy Abeyta, Davey Resource Group
- Alan Pennington, Matrix Consulting Group
- Chris Jackson, DeKalb, IL
- Chu Thai, Monterey Park, CA
- Sam Ragsdale, Ford County, KS
- Damema Mann, NRC, Inc.
- John Stefanski, City of Hayward, CA
Connect – Job Postings & Recruitments:
Communicate – Content:
- Kim Sandoval writes our first #HispanicHeritageMonth post. Interested in writing for us during this month? Send us an email with a post or to brainstorm topics.
- Have you considered taking a sabbatical? Shahrzad Rizvi did – and wrote about it for ELGL.
- Kent has a new take on his “Confidential” column – he includes things that make him laugh, cry and think.
- Morning Buzz provided your daily local gov updates:
- Dispatches from the top o’ the mitten – Kirsten and Bridget Doyle share their perspectives from the Michigan Municipal League conference on Mackinac Island, MI.
- Here’s your chance – attend the MMANC conference in October.
- ICMA shared their “Career Compass” series with us – this month’s column is on creating a world-class culture.
- Here’s my interview with Kristin Donald on the new Department of Labor rules related to exempt employees.
Questions? Comments? Drop me a note and let me know how ELGL can best serve you!