In today’s Buzz: Coco-oh no-oil, a fibbing Clerk, and publicly funded butt lifts.
This buzz is brought to you by ice cream!
What I’m playing– Star Wars Battlefront
What I’m Watching – DS9
What I’m Eating – Ice Cream!
- Finsbury Park Mosque: Man dies as van hits pedestrians: A 48-year-old man was arrested following the collision just after midnight near Finsbury Park Mosque in Seven Sisters Road. The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) said a van “intentionally” ran over worshippers.
- U.S. Navy confirms all 7 missing sailors from USS Fitzgerald found dead: The U.S. Navy confirmed on Monday that all seven missing sailors on the USS Fitzgerald were found dead. The USS Fitzgerald and a Philippine-flagged container ship collided south of Tokyo Bay early on Saturday.
- Amazon: Everything From A To Z Now Includes Whole Foods: Amazon recently announced its purchase of Whole Foods for $13.7 billion. Whole Foods delivery? Who can afford that?
- Coconut Oil is not as Healthy as Assumed: It turns out that coconut oil is not that healthy after all. The American Heart Association released the Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease Advisory showing that coconut oil increases the LDL or “bad” cholesterol.
- Weekly Update: Birthdays, Pop Ups, Facebook Live!
- #DadLife: Celebrating Father’s Day
- Kittelson’s Corner: Elephant in the Room
- Guess the GovLove Guest….
- The Best Ever with Jessica Johnson, City of Bozeman, MT
- Supper Club: Phoenix, AZ – July 7, 2017 – 7:30pm
- Webinar: Technology Efficiency Series: Rock Your LinkedIn Profile – July 18, 2017 – 9:00am
- Uber loses ground in US as rival Lyft accelerates: Uber is losing ground in the US, its biggest market, to a rival once written off as a bit player, as the ride-hailing company reels from a series of crises including the temporary absence of its chief executive.
- California saw a minimum wage increase in 2017. When does it go up again? Last year, Gov. Jerry Brown signed legislation raising California’s mandatory minimum to $15 an hour by 2022. California saw its first increase in January 2017, as the minimum wage increased from $10 to $10.50 an hour.
- KKK advertising itself as ‘Kool Kids Klub’ on flyers in Upstate NY neighborhood: Flyers advertising a Ku Klux Klan rally were found on driveways in an Upstate NY neighborhood, and local police are asking for the public’s help to determine who put them there.
- Soft Cell: California Inmates Can Pay for Cushier Accommodations: In California, some inmates have all the comforts of home right in their jail cells. Inmates with money have the opportunity to avoid the often-crowded and sometimes crime-ridden Los Angeles County Jail.
- Baltimore City running low on opioid overdose remedy: Baltimore health officials are running low on naloxone, the opioid overdose reversal drug used hundreds of times by bystanders in the last couple of years to save lives.
- A Muslim Teen Was Kidnapped And Murdered Outside A Virginia Mosque: A man has been charged with murder after police found the body believed to be that of 17-year-old Nabra, who went missing after leaving a mosque this weekend. Police say they have “not gotten any indication” that the crime was motivated by hate or bias.
- Texas companies tie worker shortages to immigration fears: Employees who used to build new homes and commercial spaces have recently fled the state, spooked by a combination of a federal immigration and a tough anti-“sanctuary cities” law approved last month.
Local Government Confidential
- Former friend of ex-Stanislaus County clerk-recorder says Mathews lied about garage assault: Joyce Goudie-Clarot, the former friend of Karen Mathews, tells The Modesto Bee about how an alleged beating in a Modesto garage was made up. The story, and subsequent court case, landed Roger Steiner behind bars for 19 years.
- City employee steals $100K, pays for Brazilian butt lift: A former Gainesville, Florida, city employee has been charged with stealing nearly $100,000 from the municipal government. Of the more than $93K stolen by Natwaina Clark during her 177 illegal purchases with city funds, nearly $10,000 went toward paying for a Brazilian butt lift, Gainesville.com reports.
- Trenton to lose $3.3M over misspent federal block grant funds: Trenton will lose out on $3.3 million in federal block grant funding over a three-year span — the result of years of mismanagement and sloppy recordkeeping under the city’s previous two administrations.