In today’s Buzz: we think about the future, we laugh about the past, and cry a bit every time a tweet brings us back to the present – but then we take a break and remember IT’S SO CLOSE TO THE 4TH!
What I’m Listening to – Carlos Vives
What I’m Reading – The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker
What I’m Watching – The Following
- Amazon bid on Whole Foods and while acquisitions seem to be the word of the season, it’s got me wondering what kind of monster in the future will take over the big ones from today (think: apple, google, amazon…facebook???)? OR will they all combine to form the most powerful of all entities the world has ever seen? Tweet at me. Let me know what you think.
- Everyone has something to say about the Health Care Bill. 1. 2. 3. 4. Bonus read: CBO’s analysis of the proposal
- The President won’t stop tweeting. Need I say more?
The Supremes’ new album was lit. Hits like: nothing but heartaches and some things you’ll never get used to kept me on the edge of my seat, but it looks like a teaser for the next LP is what will keep’ us all hangin’ on (most anticipated single: where did our love go)
- This podcast makes me feel…well kinda glad that people like Malcolm Gladwell are around.
- What is Chronic Homelessness?
- Lindsay Lara’s Love Letter to City Recorders
- Survey TIEMMMMMM: Tell ELGL how they’re doing. Go on. I dare you!
- Chris Traeger literally wants you to nominate your absolute favorite human being to ELGLs 2nd annual Traeger List! Let them know you think they’re beautiful..on the inside where their spirit lives, but also outside.
- Denver, CO Supper Club – June 30, 2017 (If you are in the Denver metro area, come out and see your fellow ee el gee yellers tonight!)
- Phoenix, AZ Supper Club – July 7,2017
- Portland, OR Supper Club – July 12, 2017
- Technology Efficiency Series: Rock Your LinkedIn Profile – July 18, 2017
- #ELGLPopUps – September 22, 2017
- The National Recreation and Park Association’s Annual Conference – September 26-28, 2017
Remember public private partnerships??? because the local govosphere has been buzzing about them for more than a few years now?? The DOT’s got something to say about them!
- Denver has the second largest bike to work day in the US! (San Francisco is #1) Read more about how Denver made it happen! Bonus read: Portland State University’s Tara Goddard researched driver’s attitudes and behavior toward bicyclists. I think her research explains why I’m mad at cars when i bike, but also mad at bicyclists when i drive.
- What does a changing climate mean for the American south? Climate change will aggravate economic inequality in the United States, essentially transferring wealth from poor counties in the Southeast and the Midwest to well-off communities in the Northeast and on the coasts, according to the most detailed economic assessment of the phenomenon ever conducted.
Local Government Confidential
- America’s most interesting mayors! (Personally rooting for this rising star from Indiana)
- Firefighters’ Clout Make Them Politically Untouchable
- Paul Massey drops out of the New York City mayoral race
- Former D.A. hired to represent ex-commissioner accused of crime (Kendrick has what the former De Kalb D.A. doesn’t. Caution: The song does have a few choice words in it. Please listen at own risk.)
Have an safe and amazing 4th of July Weekend!!!