City of Beaverton, Oregon
Public Information Specialist
- Salary – $19.20 – $25.72 Hourly
- Location – 12725 Millikan Way Beaverton, OR
- Job Type – Full time
- Department – Mayor’s Office
- Closing – 8/24/2017 4:30 PM Pacific
The City of Beaverton is searching for a creative, organized, detail-oriented communications support staff member to serve as a Public Information Specialist in the Mayor’s Office. The ideal candidate will have exceptional skill in writing, editing, web content, graphics and desktop publishing.
The Position. The Public Information Specialist will support the city’s public information needs. Work requires curiosity, critical thinking, tact, communication skills and knowledge of marketing strategies to promote Beaverton as a friendly, welcoming, and active city. This role requires an ability to interpret the meaning of information for others. The class specification for this position is Support Specialist 2.
The Ideal Candidate. The ideal candidate will have experience producing content in multiple formats. They will be flexible in a dynamic environment and dedicated to delivering good customer service. We need someone who can write, edit, post and simplify language with an eye for good design and the talent to transmit information effectively. The successful candidate will need to learn new systems and effectively organize, prioritize and manage multiple tasks with competing priorities and demonstrate attention to detail, thoroughness of work, and ability to follow through on complex tasks. Government experience is helpful, but not necessary.
The Team. Public Information manages the city’s brand and coordinates marketing efforts that provide timely, relevant, and meaningful information to Beaverton residents and visitors. Part of the Public Involvement and Communications Division, our goal is to increase public awareness, facilitate an authentic, transparent and flexible public involvement process that integrates residents’ concerns and needs into the city’s decision-making process and results in greater credibility, and trust between the city and those whom it exits to serve.
Job Responsibilities. This position is a support specialist within the Mayor’s Office Public Involvement and Communications Division. The Public Information Specialist reports to the city’s Marketing Manager. Key responsibility areas include:
- Support communications and marketing activities such as routine graphic design and document formatting, drafting press releases, posting to social media, managing website content, archiving photos, proofreading, editing, photography, videography, etc.
- Support city’s branding by understanding and applying guidelines stated in the city’s Identity Standards & Style Manual.
- Play a primary role in coordinating the bi-monthly Your City newsletter including article collection, editing content and coordinating graphic design.
- Process the accounting of the Public Information program including submitting purchase orders and payments for vendors, preparing contracts, ordering supplies, and monitoring and tracking expenses.
- Research, compile, coordinate, prepare and distribute materials.
- Help facilitate staff training and providing assistance and follow up with staff.
- Provide clerical assistance to individual or work groups including coordination of meeting and travel arrangements, maintenance of schedules and calendars.
- Support and respect diversity in the workplace.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- 3 years of administrative experience OR
- 2-year degree and 2 years administrative experience OR
- 4-year degree and 1 year of administrative experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook) and the internet.
- Working knowledge of basic bookkeeping/accounting.
- Advance knowledge of English grammar, spelling and usage.
- Ability and willingness to work some evening and weekend hours.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to meet the city’s driving standards.
- Ability to pass reference and background check.
- Strong experience with administrative duties and multitasking.
- Journalism, PR or marketing agency experience.
- Experience with AP style.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience working in community-based organizations or non-profits.
- Salary Range: $19.20 – $25.72 per hour
- Starting salary will be determined depending on relevant work experience. The city pays the full retirement contribution to PERS; provides employees with an opportunity to participate in a deferred compensation retirement plan; tuition reimbursement program available; public service loan forgiveness program; and offers excellent health, dental, vision and life insurance coverage. In addition to hourly wage, 4% bilingual pay may be available.