City of Milwaukie, Oregon
Assistant City Manager
- Closing Date & Time: Sun. Oct. 1 at 10 PM Pacific Time
- Salary: $48.34 – $61.71 Hourly; $8,378.93 – $10,696.40 Monthly; $100,547.20 – $128,356.80 Annually
- Job Type: Full-Time, Regular
- Location: City Hall, 10722 SE Main St., Milwaukie, OR 97222
- Department: City Manager
The City of Milwaukie is seeking an Assistant City Manager to oversee and guide, as assigned, the activities of various departments, divisions and special projects to ensure they are in concert with the policies and goals of the City Manager and City Council. Provide administrative guidance, as assigned, to staff to ensure the City’s goals and objectives are achieved in a timely and professional manner. Provide the City Manager and City Council with accurate and timely information to support decision-making and policy direction. Serves as an agent of the City Manager in conflict dispute resolution.
This position provides effective, professional leadership, positioning the city to meet the community’s current and future needs through appropriate technologies and services. The work is performed under the direct supervision of the City Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises management and non-management staff in assigned areas of responsibility, including prioritizing work, evaluating individual and team performance, monitoring progress on reports and projects, making hiring and termination recommendations and ensuring staff is fully trained.
- Oversees web communications strategy and content that is sensitive, high priority, cross departmental, and/or related to key initiatives; oversees messaging for the City’s website including tone, look and feel of the website.
- Provides support directly to the City Manager by serving as a liaison on major projects; provides special research and support to the City Manager.
- Plans, directs, interprets and evaluates policies, activities/operations, as well as broad long-range strategies and goals.
- Represents the City and the City Manager to staff, elected officials and outside agencies; creates, presents and explains City programs, policies and activities; and negotiates and resolves sensitive, significant and controversial issues.
- Provides or coordinates staff support to a variety of boards and commissions; serves on intergovernmental and community committees.
- Attends City Council meetings and represent the City Manager as needed.
- Resolves or participates in resolving customer complaints.
- Represents the City Manager’s Office in various meetings, assisting with input and guidance to achieve an outcome beneficial to the greater good of the organization, community and residents.
- Promotes an effective, responsive and value-based organizational culture.
- Participates in the development of the City’s strategic plans and strategies to achieve stated goals.
- Negotiates contracts and intergovernmental agreements as assigned and manages such agreements over their duration.
- Performs the duties of the City Manager, as assigned, during the City Manager’s absence.
- Promote and support diversity in the workplace.
- Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activities and conditions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Methods to promote diversity in the organization and the community.
- Best practices in the areas of leadership and management.
- Emerging communication trends including best practices and principles for communications, including public involvement, media relations and social media.
- State and federal laws governing areas of assignment.
- Presentation techniques.
- Problem resolution techniques.
- Personal computers and related software applications.
- Work with people in stressful situations which may involve individuals who are distraught or highly stressed.
- Foster a positive attitude among staff that encourages cooperation, coordination of efforts, efficient and ethical use of resources and a strong customer service commitment.
- Communicate effectively with co-workers, management, elected officials and the public.
- Display excellent interpersonal skills and awareness of controversial and/or sensitive issues.
- Recommend and implement tools and software to broaden and deepen the City’s communication efforts.
- Manage multiple projects and tasks, while prioritizing as needed.
- Foster relationships with community partners and to work as a member of an internal collaborative team.
- Apply management theories and practices.
- Prepare budgets.
- Write effective reports.
- Resolve and/or mediate conflict.
- Make effective presentations.
- Promote positive public relations.
- Provide excellent customer service.
Required Education, Training and Experience
(Any combination of education and experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential duties of this position. Prior work experience and educational requirements listed are typical ways of obtaining the required qualifications. Other equivalent combinations of education, training and experience will be considered.)
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration or equivalent degree.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible municipal government or public sector management experience; including at least five (5) years direct management experience which demonstrates successful management outcomes.
- Have a proven record as an innovative leader, possessing excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Strong commitment to public service.
- Licensing/Special Requirements:
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- Evening and weekend work is required as needed.
- Some travel within and outside the city required.
More information at www.milwaukieoregon.gov/humanresources/job-opportunities.