City of Arlington, Virginia
Division Chief, Materials Management
- SALARY: NEGOTIABLE
- CLOSING DATE: 10/05/2017
Arlington County is seeking a proactive, team-oriented, and a strategic thinker Division Chief to lead Arlington Public Libraries’ Materials Management Division. The successful candidate will lead the effort of creating a collection in a variety of formats that meets the needs and interests of the Arlington community and manages the Cataloging and Metadata Services unit, which is responsible for cataloging and processing all materials that come into the Library.
The Division Chief is a member of a dynamic and dedicated Library Leadership Team and works collaboratively with other senior leaders in the Library to set policy and manage the overall strategic direction of the Arlington Public Library.
The major duties of this position include:
- Serving as head of acquisitions, collection development, cataloging, and processing activities for the library system;
- Supervising licensing, vendor relations and ordering for electronic resources, serials, and all print materials;
- Overseeing accounting and budget allocation for the $1.5M materials budget, including analysis, statistical reports and financial reports related to online and print acquisitions;
- Supervising 3 direct and 12 indirect reports;
- Providing long-range strategic planning of policies, programs, procedures and initiatives as a member of the senior management team; and
- Directing short-term and strategic planning to identify gaps in current collections, maintain a state-of-the-art catalog for public and internal staff use, and monitor processing workflows to achieve efficiencies.
A strong background in workflow management, internal workgroup dynamics and supervision are necessary. The employee will operate with substantial independence, supervise a large staff, and report to the Department of Libraries Director.
The successful candidate will have a combination of education and experience equivalent to a Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association-accredited college or university, plus extensive experience managing a multi-service unit in libraries and supervising library personnel and programs.
Preferred qualifications include experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Strategic and operational planning;
- Fiscal management;
- Leading a workgroup of peers in a team environment; and/or
- Program or project management.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Manage multiple priorities;
- Meet deadlines;
- Understand and focus on system-wide and County strategic priorities; and
- Work successfully within a team and communicate effectively face-to-face and in writing.