Dudek’s Graphic Designer creates graphics for a variety of environmental, planning, and engineering documents. This individual has experience in graphic design, cartography, and spatial analysis in the architecture, environmental consulting, and/or engineering industry. A strong design aesthetic and complementary software skills (InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc.) is essential. Experience developing and coordinating graphics for a wide variety of report types and marketing proposals in a fast-moving, production-oriented environment is also essential.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops high-quality graphic products for print and web.
- Develops and reviews work products against cartographic standards design guidelines, graphical standards, and templates.
- Works closely with geographic information systems (GIS) staff in reviewing and developing data for use in graphics and/or maps to adhere to established cartographic standards and templates as well as a general design aesthetic.
- Reviews maps to ensure consistency of information with existing documentation set.
- Works closely with Dudek’s Art Director, GIS, and document production team members (editors, word processors) and helps coordinate the work of other support staff to ensure that projects are completed according to established requirements and schedules.
- Attends project meetings, creates project-specific style guidelines that tier from the company’s graphic standards, as appropriate, and ensures graphics adhere to these guidelines when available.
- Collects feedback on graphics from the project team and resolves comments to meet the team’s needs.
- Independently investigates and provides graphic solutions upon request.
- Performs digital and hard-copy quality checks of others’ work in an efficient/budget-conscious manner, as appropriate.
- Helps ensure that file-management best practices and retention policies are implemented.
- Reports status of assignments and notifies supervisors when help is needed.
Education and Essential Skills:
- B.A. or B.S. in design-intensive discipline and 4 years of applicable architecture, environmental consulting, or engineering industry experience. Experience with cartography is essential.
- Proven problem-solving capabilities, strong design and computer skills, with an emphasis on meeting the graphics needs of project managers for environmental, planning, and engineering projects.
- Excellent communication skills—both written and verbal. Responds promptly to verbal and email requests. Provides accurate work forecasts and status updates on assigned tasks.
- Ability to multi-task, schedule, delegate, and prioritize to meet project milestones.
- Teamwork skills; capable of constructively teaching and learning from teammates. Positive attitude in the face of changing demands and deadlines.
- Adaptability; able to rapidly self-teach new software applications, able to be productive under changing demands and deadlines.
- Excellent general software skills, with a proficiency in InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator, and Microsoft Office suite. Knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS and Google Earth desirable but not required.
- Excellent design skills; must have thorough understanding of professional standards and resources and demonstrate good and quick judgment with sensitivity to customer demands while maintaining established standards.
- Experience working with document production teams is desired, and familiarity with terminology of environmental sciences is a plus.
- Experience with, or ability to, and the desire to lead teams is a plus.
We provide a diversified mix of professional environmental planning, scientific, engineering, and construction support services to help clients plan, design, permit, and build projects related to developing infrastructure and managing natural resources. We are an employee-owned firm founded in 1980 with approximately 400 employees. The company has its headquarters in Encinitas and has 10 offices throughout California and offices in Portland and Honolulu.