Charlotte Fire Department
Senior Management Analyst
Management Analyst – Fire Department Research & Planning
Apply your keen analytical and problem-solving skills to promote operational excellence in the fire service. Research and provide information for key decisions related to fire staff utilization and deployment, community risk reduction, and the selection of capital improvement projects (e.g., fire station location).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under general direction of the Strategic Planning Battalion Chief:
- Provides data analysis, research, evaluation, and measurement related to the performance and operation of the department, including:
- Benchmark metrics;
- Performance of departmental programs;
- Service demand and performance including call volume, call types, call density, response times, and response costs;
- Evaluation of effective allocation of resources;
- Metrics related to fire service accreditation and insurance offices rating;
- Forecasting demand for services; and/or
- Cross-departmental problem-solving and policy analysis.
- Ensures appropriate and meaningful data collection and analysis. Prepares reports or summaries of data from complex records and multiple data sources including GIS data. Prepares and/or coordinates the compilation of information for presentations, web site content, and other documentation.
- Researches, analyzes, and evaluates proposals, projects, and departmental activities, processes, and programs in terms of staffing requirements, needs, priorities, costs, and funding sources.
- Assists in the creation, compiling, indexing, and storage of documents for accreditation as part of the accreditation team; supports the establishment of continuous quality improvement processes.
- Participates in citywide innovation and analytics projects; partners with other city departments and public safety agencies in research and planning activities; and represents the Fire Department in cross-department and community efforts related to data analysis, process facilitation, and problem solving.
Demonstrated experience performing complex planning and research projects, excellent communication skills (verbal and written), and close attention to detail. Demonstrated high-level skills in using computer software related to data analysis/business intelligence including advanced Excel skills (pivot tables and reports, tables and formatting, charts and graphs, filtering, formula application, trend analysis, descriptive statistics, etc.).
The applicant should have experience using Microsoft Office; including Word, PowerPoint, and basic skills in GIS. Bachelor’s degree in public administration, social sciences, information technology, data analytics, statistics, GIS, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience necessary to perform the essential job functions.
We are looking for a self-starter with excellent analytical, project management, and presentation skills that can identify research objectives and approaches, gather and interpret data, and prepare and report accurate findings. This position will not supervise other employees.
- Familiarity with fire service operations or public safety databases.
- Prior experience in fire service accreditation.
- Experience with Tableau or other tools for data visualization and dashboard creation.
- Experience using ArcMap and the Network Analyst extension.
- Basic knowledge of SQL, relational databases, and Python programming.