City of Pearland, TX
Closing Date: November 27, 2017
Salary: $76,000 – $80,000 DOQ
The City of Pearland offers an excellent benefits package including a voluntary ICMA 457 deferred compensation program, as well as membership in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS).
The City of Pearland pays all premiums for the employee’s dental, long-term disability protection, and life insurance and the City pays the majority of the medical premium for employees and dependents.
The City of Pearland is seeking a dynamic, proven leader for the Risk Manager position. This individual must be a strong leader with proven ability to develop and administer risk management programs, policies etc. in a municipal setting. The right candidate will also have experience leading and developing other staff in the area of Risk Management.
This position works under administrative supervision, developing and implementing programs within organizational policies and reports major activities to executive level administrators through conferences and reports.
The Risk Manager, along with staff in the division, will be dedicated to managing the City’s liability, property, causality, and workers’ compensation insurance coverage, identifying potential exposures to loss, and preventing and mitigate accidents and/or incidents. This leader will review, evaluate, and analyze work environments to assist in the design and coordination of the City’s safety program and procedures to mitigate loss in alignment with long and short term strategic planning.
To optimize performance of the organization, City of Pearland employees are expected to use multi-directional communication (top to bottom, bottom to top, and across peer groups), use cross-functional teams to promote a greater understanding of the organization by employees at all levels, create to a culture of continuous learning that encourages and supports employee development and growth, embrace technology with a focus on improving service delivery, productivity and connectivity, and create an environment where innovation is supported and encouraged.
Are you excited by a position that has a variety of risk responsibilities including:
- Prepares rerate exposure summaries for all lines of insurance coverage.
- Monitors and manages liability and property claims.
- Utilizes existing and new resources to present solutions to identified deficiencies.
- Performs analysis of current and future operations of the City to determine best courses of action to help address losses and exposures.
- Manages exposures and hazards by following up on recommended changes.
- Monitors workers’ compensation claims; closely monitors return to work program and repeat workers’ compensation claimants.
- Creates and updates the risk management policies, manuals, process, procedures, etc.
- Conducts building inspection and safety surveys.
- Monitors the risk management budget.
- Mentors and trains staff in the Risk Management division.
- Reviews contractual agreements related to indemnification and insurance requirements.
- Prepares insurance bid specifications to periodically test the market.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Risk Management, or a closely related field, and five (5) years progressive experience in safety and workers’ compensation; or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid, Class “C” Texas drivers license
- Risk Management Certificate and/or Safety Certificate preferred
- Two (2) years municipal government experience preferred