City of Scottsdale, AZ
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation’s most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
To learn more about working for the City of Scottsdale and meet a few of our employees, click here.
The Management Assistant classification is intended to attract and retain individuals with limited governmental experience who have a desire to serve local government. The position will be housed in the City Manager’s office and will work with various city departments to develop professional strategic experience and obtain management and leadership experience.
Selection Process: We anticipate hiring for this position mid-February 2018. If you have not obtained your degree at this time you will not be eligible for this recruitment.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 year
Education and Experience
- Eligible candidates must possess a Master’s degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, or related field by the start of employment. The degree must be from an accredited educational institution.
- Candidates must have had previous internship or work experience for 3 months in a field such as government, finance, legislation, research or statistical analysis.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Prepare concise, comprehensive, well-organized working papers and written reports to accurately and effectively communicate conclusions and any recommendations.
- Prepares and presents materials for meetings and events.
- Analyzes issues and concerns and recommends innovative solutions, including cross-divisional problem solving.
- Interprets policies, procedures, codes and ordinances and provides oral and written information to staff and the general public.
- Participates in the planning and evaluation as part of the budget and organizational performance management processes and develops strategies and alternatives that focus on continuous improvement, innovation and change.
- Provides day-to-day support and guidance to city management and other internal staff.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed in a normal City office environment.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, telephone, calculator, copier requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
- Travel to/from meetings or training at various locations.
- Safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Infrequently lift and carry storage files, reports, supplies or equipment weighing up to 20 pounds.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an “otherwise qualified applicant” with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.