City of San Rafael, CA
Business Systems Analyst
- $95,712 – $125,160 annually DOE
- APPLY BY: January 10, 2018
- Apply online!
The City of San Rafael is looking for innovators to streamline, rethink and transform the business systems that support City services.
Are you up for the challenge of reinventing how we do government business?
Are you interested in implementing systems that will delight our citizens?
Are you courageous to seek out possibilities that open new frontiers?
The City is in search of a Business Systems Analyst who will provide functional data system expertise and act as a liaison between departments and Information Technology to seek innovative solutions to current business process and information system challenges. Ultimately, this position will be responsible for redesigning business processes and identifying and making recommendations to revamp our City systems. This project is anticipated to last for up to three (3) years.
The ideal candidate will be skilled to independently plan and carry out complex business system integration projects. The position requires strong analytical and project management skills to plan, analyze, test, and assist with the implementation of information technology system solutions and to coordinate functional support activities necessary for maintenance. This position is also being created to collaborate with the ERP Project Manager and provide support to the City ERP system upgrade. The position may provide lead direction to assigned technical staff and project teams.
This Business Systems Analyst position is a Fixed-term position anticipated to be needed for up to three (3) years, and the responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Conducts meetings with department managers, supervisors, and end users; helps departments define and document business requirements.
- Analyzes current and future departmental business needs and problems in relation to functional application of business systems; uses innovative approaches to improve processes, policies, and technology systems.
- Troubleshoots complex issues, identifies problem areas, and coordinates changes to business processes, system configurations, and data relationships as needed.
- Uses functional knowledge of department business processes and operational needs to create detailed plans as needed to achieve successful business solutions.
- Coordinates assigned projects including assisting in defining project scope, objectives, project deliverables and critical target dates; monitoring project and budgetary performance and compliance; tracking and reporting on project status; and representing assigned department on interdepartmental project teams.
- Participates in and assists with the verification and approval of functional acceptance testing.
- Researches and assists with the development of report specifications and designs; works closely with technical staff and end users to create complex data reports and queries.
- Develops or ensures the development of end-user procedural documentation and tutorials, including coordinating end-user and technical staff training and support; may develop training curriculum and conduct formal training sessions.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the knowledge and abilities listed.
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, computer science, or a field related to the work AND
- Two years of responsible journey level experience in a position that would provide experience in the planning, implementation, oversight and/or utilization of automated information systems and applications necessary to support broad business activities.
NOTE: Additional professional experience in analyzing business processes and information systems may substitute for two years of the required education on a year-for-year basis.
• Principles and tools for mapping business processes and documenting system specifications.
• Procedures and practices for testing business functions within automated information systems and applications.
• Application software including project management, presentation, spreadsheet, and word processing applications.
• Lead discussion with managers and end users to define and document business requirements; develop and document business and technical process, functions and procedures.
• Coordinate with end users and technical staff to implement new releases of software, new functionality and system patches.
• Develop an understanding of departmental business processes and technology requirements.
• Read and interpret a variety of technical manuals and instructions designed for automated applications.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing, including writing clear, concise and detailed instructions, procedures and reports.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with persons contacted in the performance of duties.