In the closest #ELGLKnope matchups of all time, two libraries have emerged victorious and advanced to the #ELGLKnope National Championship:
Results showed narrow margins of victory over Lawrence, KS and Baytown, TX, and fantastic showings from all Final Four libraries:
Pueblo, CO = 5,271, 50.76%
Lawrence, KS = 5,113, 49.24%
Total = 10,384
Williamsburg, VA = 5,791, 51.05%
Baytown, TX = 5,552, 48.95%
Total = 11,343
Three ways to support your favorite library in the National Championship:
- Vote! Voting will open on Monday at 1:01 a.m.
- Tweet! Five percent of the national championship vote total will come from a one-day Twitter poll on Sunday, February 25 at @ELGL50. Vote in the Twitter poll, and RT to your followers.
- Selfies! Another five percent of the national championship vote total will come from selfies submitted with the #ELGLKnope hashtag from OUTSIDE of the library building. We want to see your selfies with the library building in the background.
Contact – Kent Wyatt, ELGL Co-Founder, firstname.lastname@example.org
ELGL is a nationwide organization of more than 3,200 members representing all functions of local government. ELGL is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in local government, humanizing local government, and connecting local government decision-makers with the best companies working in the local government arena.
History of the Leslie B. Knope Award
Last year, the Leslie B. Knope award went to the Best City Hall in the country. Peoria, IL defeated Vancouver, WA for the title. The many lessons learned from the cities participating in the contest are captured in this podcast episode – Podcast: The City Hall Challenge – Peoria vs. Vancouver
Diversity and Inclusion
ELGL is collecting data on the gender, race, age, veteran status, and residency of all local government Chief Administrative Officers (CAOs) and Assistant Chief Administrative Officers (ACAOs) in the nation. This data is not currently available, and so we lack true understanding of diversity in local government leadership.
This project is funded by donations from an October 2017 Kickstarter campaign. Research coordinators will compile this information based on self reported information from CAOs and ACAOs, and information will be available on this site in a variety of configurable formats.
Humanizing Local Government
Every August 15, ELGL celebrates International City Hall Selfie Day. #CityHallSelfie day is a chance to show pride in local government service and facilities. On this day, people take self portraits in front of local government buildings and share them on social media.
GovLove is an ELGL-produced podcast. GovLove is a podcast about the People, Policies and Profession of local government. Our goal is to tell informative and unique stories about the work being done at the local level.
Previous podcast guests include Malcolm Gladwell, Jim O’Heir (Parks & Rec), Richard Florida, Bruce Katz, Nashville Mayor Megan Barry, Leigh Tami (City of Cincinnati) and Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney.
Partnering with Companies in the Local Government Arena
More than 190 organizations and companies are all-in members. ELGL members learn about all-in members through webinars, events, and podcast. Our newest offering is the Vendor Directory, which helps local government make smarter contracting decisions.
- Reimagining Libraries: A Regional Library Funding Model
- Podcast: Susan Brown, Chapel Hill Public Library Director
- Reimagining Libraries: Baytown Library Writes its Own Story
- Reimagining Libraries in an Increasingly Fractured Marketplace
#ELGLKnope In the News
- Help The Public Library win the Leslie B. Knope Award
- LIED SCOTTSBLUFF PUBLIC LIBRARY ADVANCES TO 2ND ROUND OF NATIONAL LIBRARY CONTEST
- Schlow receives nomination for best public library
- Chattanooga library nominated as best in nation
- Chattanooga Public Library in running to be named best library in nation
- Schlow Nominated for National Honor as Best Public Library
- Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library in the running for the Leslie Knope Award
- BEST LIBRARY IN THE UNIVERSE
- CHAPEL HILL REPRESENTED IN BEST PUBLIC LIBRARY CONTEST
- Livonia library needs help winning national contest named for ‘Parks and Rec’ character
- Library among finalists competing to be the best library in the country
- Effingham Public Library Advances to Sweet 16 Round in National Contest
- Library in the running for national award
- Help Us Stick It to Leslie B. Knope!
- Iowa City Public Library hopes you’ll say ‘Knope’ to Penn State, and vote them best library in the U.S.