Friday, March 2 is ELGL’s “Inspiring Women to Local Government Careers” event for undergraduate students. Read more about this program, and check out this incredible line-up of local government practitioners who are volunteering their time to promote local government! Follow along during the event on social media using the hashtag #ELGLInspire.
Arrive, check in, lunch buffet catered by Mellow Mushroom
- Welcome from Kirsten Wyatt, Executive Director, ELGL | Twitter
- Welcome from Chris Morrill, CEO, GFOA | Twitter
Quick Fire Presentations From Local Government Practitioners
These are fast-paced, four minute presentations about the challenges and opportunities in each sector of local government.
- Budget = Bertha Johnson, City of Durham, NC | Twitter
- Environmental Services = Mary Tiger, Orange Co Water & Sewer Authority
- Finance = Chris Morrill, GFOA | Twitter
- Fire = Ashley Jacobs, Aiken County, SC | Twitter
- Innovation = Caley Trujillo Patten, City of Durham, NC | Twitter
- Libraries = Susan Brown, Town of Chapel Hill, NC | Twitter
- Planning = Mary Jane Nirdlinger, Town of Chapel Hill, NC
- Management = Renee Paschal, Chatham County, NC
- Recreation & Parks = Anita Jones McNair, Town of Carrboro, NC
- Police Assistant = Chief Celisa Lehew, Town of Chapel Hill, NC
Campfire Conversations With Local Government Practitioners
Students will chose a table to go to where they will learn from the practitioners in a small group setting. After 10 minutes, students will rotate to a new table. This will be done four times so that every student gets a chance to sit with five practitioners to ask questions and hear from them about their path into local government and how they realized it was the career for them.
- Notes for students: You will hear from five different local government practitioners, try to pick out who you want to hear from ahead of time but select some backups in case the table is full for your first choice.
- Notes for speakers: Start with your major and career path into local government, including what made you realize this was the career for you. Then take questions from the students. This will be a little repetitive but we want to create opportunities for the students to form meaningful connections with y’all.
What’s Next? Pursuing Public Service After Undergrad
This moderated session includes Q&A from the panelists, as well as the chance for audience questions.
- Moderator: Kirsten Wyatt
- Ben Kittelson, Senior Budget Analyst, City of Durham, NC | Twitter
- Noor Shaikh, Budget Analyst, City of Aurora, CO | Twitter
- Cara Robinson, Director of Admissions, UNC MPA Program
Social Hour & Networking
THANK YOU to our event sponsors:
- GFOA = Government Finance Officers Association
- UNC School of Government
- ICMA = International City County Management Association
- Carolina Women’s Center
- UNC Center for Public Service
- Town of Chapel Hill, NC
- Town of Carrboro, NC
- City of Durham, NC