Since our inception in 2011, ELGL has developed a reputation as the fastest growing, most broadly representative and most responsive member organization serving local government professionals today. Your ELGL Board of Directors team met last week in Phoenix to create a strategic vision the next several years that outlines our goals for continued transparency, growth and programing.
Your input on a recent survey about what you value most about ELGL was the centerpiece of our discussion. We have drafted next steps which focus on continuing to provide what you love about ELGL and building a solid foundation that is financially sustainable and provide resources for additional programming.
Core Values: The key characteristics of who we are and how we conquer the local gov world
Pillars: Where we plan to focus our energy and the initiatives that will be our central commitments
- Community: ELGL is a welcoming, supportive community of local government professionals with an unrivaled passion for public service.
- Improvement: ELGL is a catalyst for new ideas and innovation that make local government better.
- Education: ELGL provides unique, accessible and relevant professional development opportunities that cultivate, attract and retain talent in local government.
- Diversity: ELGL believes that leadership in our communities should reflect those we serve and thus we work to expand diversity and inclusion at all level of local government administration.
- Communication: ELGL creates opportunities for our members to share their stories and their expertise in an effort to inspire others and to humanize local government.
- Joy: ELGL doesn’t take our work too seriously. We celebrate success and initiate both programs and conversations aimed at making public service fun.
Operational Budget: Highlights from the FY18 Budget approved by the Board
- Inclusion of salary for a full-time Executive Director. ($80,000 base)
- Revision of member dues. ($15/student; $30/member; $300/all-in)
- Professional development events to include Pop-Up Conferences and the Annual Conference and the sponsorship goals associated with each event.
- Investment in back-end infrastructure for member database management, event registration, website and other digital member services.
- Swag. And more Swag.
- Full roll out of the Diversity Dashboard project and creation of content to support Diversity initiatives.
Yes. We are raising dues. Here’s why: It costs ELGL approximately $90 per member to provide our current services and events. If we stand by our value and our network then we need raise membership dues. The dues increase adopted does not fully balance the costs per member. We will aggressively seek partnerships and other appropriate revenue streams. The Board felt this increase was necessary with or without our transition to having a paid Executive Director.
We believe ELGL is the hands-down best bang of any local government organization.
For $30 per member, $15 per student & $300 per organization you gain:
- access to a national network,
- monthly webinars on relevant local gov trends,
- a standing invitation to contribute your voice and expertise as a columnist or project leader,
- a dynamic job board for both posters and seekers,
- unique members-only content and the opportunity to participate in our coveted award programs.
Plus, we are adding to our programming. More GovLove. More Webinars. More Columns. More events. In the coming year we will also be working to add access to a reputable best practices/resource inventory, an expanded member profile feature and a one-of-a-kind vendor directory.
As we grow and transition to leadership by our Executive Director, we remain focused on creating opportunities for our members to engage and take ownership of projects that match their passion. We will offer valuable opportunities for our members to gain experience and develop skills that will help them advance their careers and prepare them for future leadership positions within ELGL. Soon we will be issuing a call for members who want to become regular content contributors, serve on our finance and membership committees and assist with the planning and execution of professional development offerings.
Piqued your interest? Here is the full detailed summary from our board meeting.
As we move forward we ask that if you have ideas, praise or concerns you take the time to share them with a member of the Board. We are here to serve you and to make ELGL an invaluable part of your personal and professional life.
Your ELGL Board of Directors – Stacy, Dan, Ben & Kent