Next ELGL Forum
Bill Wyatt, Port of Portland Executive Director
January 15, 2013 (note the date change), 7200 NE Airport Way, Portland, OR 97218
11:45 am – Forum; 1:00 pm – Tour of Port of Portland Headquarters
RSVP to Megan Messmer, ELGL Project Coordinator, [email protected]
Why Denser Cities Are Smarter and More Productive – Another wrinkle in the density discussion.
The ‘Strong Core’ Theory of Los Angeles – Samuel Krueger believes he’s identified a structure to L.A. that’s not unlike Manhattan or Chicago’s Loop.
Brownwood, Big Spring fight ‘yuck factor’ as they plan to reclaim toilet water for human consumption – The West Texas cities of Brownwood and Big Spring are facing what may seem an unappetizing choice — reclaim toilet water for human consumption, or risk going thirsty.
Eugene council considers new fees – One proposal is a new “city service” fee of up to $10 a month charged to residents. The other involves shifting the cost of parks maintenance from the general fund to the stormwater fund and tacking on a new flat but unspecified fee to every utility bill to help pay for parks upkeep.
With Online Sales Tax, States Can Collect Revenue They Are Owed – A free enterprise system shouldn’t allow an unfair tax system.
Town Mourns a Mayor Who Had Staying Power – Richmond, Tex., seemed to fall still on Monday during the memorial service for Hilmar G. Moore, who was appointed mayor in 1949 and was elected 32 times.
The Fiscal Cliff
- Could park fees increase?
- Corporate Tax Loopholes and the Fiscal Cliff
- The Idea That Could End the Fiscal Cliff
- Why America Is Going To Miss The Bush Tax Cuts
- In Budget Talks, G.O.P. Weighs Loyalty to Voters
- Error costs Sea-Tac nearly $400K in missed parking charges
- Conservative Think Tank Calls for CRC Audit
- Hillsboro mixed-use development drops retail spaces, but builds ‘community’
- Will Portland City Council push for a fluoride vote in 2013?
- CRC zeroes in on a height for bridge
- City of Portland must pay $306,000 to man in excessive force case
- Hillsboro council closes 2012 with new fire union deal
- Forest Grove residents honored for service to city
- Tualatin to revisit chicken ordinance following citizen involvement discussions
- To Woo Jobs, Kitzhaber Will Convene Special Legislative Session: Updated
- City wants advice on use of Silvers property
- San Leandro city manager cuts his pay to give pay raises to two top executives
- Cave Junction Considers Own Police
- Pacific’s insurer won’t reconsider coverage unless mayor resigns
- How does a $40 car tab fee sound? Yakima voters could decide
- EPUD selects general manager
- Council upholds commission decision to deny south Salem zone change
- City Council wants to list climate change as coal port concern
The Career Center
10 Good Ways to ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ – ‘If Hollywood made a movie about my life, it would be called…’ and nine more memorable answers to this dreaded job interview question.
The Best (Worst?) Typos, Mistakes, and Correrctions of 2012 – So, which were the best—most amusing, most mortifying, funniest, most cringeworthy, and most interesting—mistakes of the year? Herewith, our favorites.
Before a Big Presentation, Brainstorm – A big presentation is only as good as the message it delivers. Once you know what you want that message to be, you need to create the right supporting content to reinforce it.
Call for Ideas: ICMA’s 2013 Annual Conference – You are invited to contribute to the conference program by suggesting session ideas that correspond to one or more of 12 focus areas developed by the 2013 Conference Planning Committee. Submit your session idea(s) by January 4, 2013, at icma.granicusideas.com. You must submit a separate proposal for each session you would like to be considered.
Public invited to comment on state transportation priorities – A new online survey launched this week invites Washington citizens to share their ideas about the state’s transportation priorities and how to pay for them.
Springfield Seeks Applicants for Wastewater Management Commission – Springfield is seeking applicants for the Metropolitan Wastewater Management Commission (MWMC).
The Social Network
Mary Meeker’s Latest Must-Read Presentation On The State Of The Web – As usual, it’s a must read for anyone in the industry, or anyone with an interest in technology.
15 easy ways to boost engagement on Facebook – With these changes in mind, here are 15 different ways you can boost Facebook engagement on your company’s page.
11 questions to ask before sharing content on social media – Social media marketing and the community building it naturally entails means sharing content with your community or prospective members of it.
Big Idea 2013: Get All of Your Employees on Social Media – If there’s one thing you must do in 2013, it is to get strategic about social.Now that I have your attention, let me caveat that call to action.