Tremendous half for Chris Matthews. (Someone had to go there). pic.twitter.com/Sp1RCx6xc7
— Larry Stone (@StoneLarry) February 2, 2015
Right Now With Josh Schultz
- What I’m Listening to – “My baby’s in love with Eddie Vedder” – Weird Al
- What I’m Reading –America’s Bitter Pill: Money, Politics, Back-Room Deals, and the Fight to Fix Our Broken Healthcare System, by Steven Brill
- What I’m Watching –The Sopranos
- What I’m Doing –Typing the Night Away
- What I Want to Know From You –Where’s the best neighborhood for young people in Arlington, Virginia? (Tweet the answer to @JoshSchultzDC on Twitter)
We’re Buzzing Super Bowl Commercials
- Why (and when) did Nationwide Insurance become so depressing? – “While a few commercials had people in tears during the Super Bowl, one ad by insurer Nationwide appeared to just depress everyone. “The well-intended commercial showed a young boy riding a school bus and lamenting that he’ll never learn to fly, or travel the world with his best friend, or even grow up, because he died in an accident. The ad was aimed at stopping preventable childhood accidents.”
- Oh, and this: “One Yard From Crushing Loss, Patriots Grab Their 4th Title; Patriots Win Super Bowl XLIX, Defeating Seahawks”
Trending on ELGL
- 02.01.14 Jobs, Jobs, Jobs (SkyMall….The End Remix)
- The Confidential: America’s Favorite Non-Profit
- My Story with Darwin Wade, City of Grand Prairie, TX
- 1984 with Sarah Bledsoe, Village of Rye Brook, NY
- #13Percent: The Role of the Elected Official with Rafael Baptista
Upcoming ELGL Events: Highlights from our events calendar
- Join us for the Parks and Rec Finale – 6:30p.m., February 24 (show starts at 7), The Vino Cellar, 141 E St. Charles Rd., Lombard, Illinois
- Save the Date: Balancing Act Lunch and Learn – Where: City of Portland, 1900 SW 4th Ave – Room 2500A, February 11 at 12:00 noon
- #13Percent: Twittersation on Women in Local Gov, Tuesday, February 10, 2015 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM (PST)
- SE ELGL Mixer (and shout-out to the Sponsors) – February 5. Register here.
- Webinar: Women in Local Gov Leadership, Wednesday, February 4, 2015 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM (PST) (Sold Out!)
- Patriots 28, Seahawks 24: Patriots Win Super Bowl XLIX, Defeating Seahawks – With a late Seattle interception, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady won their fourth title, capping a season that got off to a trying start by ending New England’s two-game Super Bowl losing streak.
- Departing From Country’s Pacifism, Japanese Premier Vows Revenge for Killings – Prime Minister Shinzo Abe pledged “to make the terrorists pay the price” after an Islamic State video showed the beheading of a second Japanese hostage.
- WorldViews: Croatia just canceled the debts of its poorest citizens – Starting Monday, thousands of Croatia’s poorest citizens will benefit from an unusual gift: They will have their debts wiped out. Named “fresh start,” the government scheme aims to help some of the 317,000 Croatians whose bank accounts have been blocked due to their debts.
- College Life Doesn’t Have To Mean Crummy Cuisine, Says Dorm Room Chef
Local Gov’t Confidential
- Increasingly gun-friendly Kansas is on the hunt for makers of firearms – As lawmakers look poised to loosen the state’s gun rules yet again, Gov. Sam Brownback has been trying to lure gun makers to Kansas, urged on by conservative lawmakers who believe that easing gun restrictions could make the state more attractive to manufacturers under legislative assault elsewhere.