“It’s time to cheer on women and girls that want to sit at the table.” – Sheryl Sandberg
Break out your bullhorn, dust off your kindle, and join us for an ELGL Book Club Twittersation on June 11th at 1pm EST about Sheryl Sandberg’s much talked about book, Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead.
RSVP HERE and participate in an ELGL conversation about strategies women can use to attain leadership positions, because Sheryl Sandberg would most decidedly agree- women holding only 13% of local government manager positions, is just not enough!
About Lean In
Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook, shares her personal stories, uses research to shine a light on gender differences, and offers practical advice to help women achieve their goals. The book challenges people to change the conversation from what women can’t do to what we can do, and serves as a rallying cry for men and women to work together to create a more equal world. In the book, she touches on:
- Why highly talented women choose to leave careers
- The double standard that makes ambition perceived as a negative quality in a woman
- The tension women face between success and likability
- Why women should consider taking more risks and seizing opportunities
- The concept of the “corporate ladder” as more like a jungle gym with multiple paths
- Getting a mentor, but not forcing it
- Why it is important to be your authentic self at work
- The concept of a true 50 – 50 parenting split with your life partner
- The myth of doing it all
- How we are all biased
- The importance of working together to make change
Want to hear more from Sheryl Sandberg?
Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg looks at why a smaller percentage of women than men reach the top of their professions — and offers 3 powerful pieces of advice to women.
If some of these topics resonate with you, or you have read Lean In and found her strategies useful, join us and share your insights. If you think the book misses some key points that need to be discussed, join us! If you haven’t read it yet, here is your chance!
Join the Twittersation using the hashtag #ELGLBookClub and follow me @hazelsarahmarie