Penn State University
224 S. Allen Street, State College, PA 16801
March 15 event CANCELLED
Will be rescheduled to a new date in Fall 2019!
RSVP | Download the event flyer
Noon – Arrive, check in, catered lunch
12:15 – Welcome from ELGL & Penn State University
12:30 – Quick Fire Presentations From Local Government Practitioners
These are fast-paced, four minute presentations about the challenges and opportunities in each sector of local government.
- Centrice Martin, Ferguson Township, PA – Community Engagement
- Ed LeClear, State College, PA – Planning & Zoning
- Catherine Alloway, Schlow Library – Library
- Deb Hoag, State College, PA – Wastewater/Public Works
- Alan Sam, State College, PA – Sustainability
- Louwana Oliva, CATA – Transportation
- Timothy Hileman, Altoona, PA – Fire
- Pamela J. Salokangas, Centre Region COG – Parks & Recreation
- Crandall Jones, Norristown, PA – Community Development/Ec Dev
1:30 – Campfire Conversations With Local Government Practitioners
Students will choose a table where they will learn from the Quick Fire practitioners in a small group setting. After 10 minutes, students will rotate to a new table. This will be done four times so that every student gets a chance to sit with five practitioners to ask questions and hear from them about their path into local government and how they realized it was the career for them.
2:30 – What’s Next? Pursuing Public Service After Undergrad
This moderated session includes panelist discussions on career paths, as well as the chance for audience questions. Panelists include local government practitioners, MPA program representatives, and sponsor organization representatives.
- Leann Shaw, State College, PA – Human Resources & Labor Relations
- Amy Farkas, Harris Township – Administration
- Douglas Shontz, State College, PA – Communications
- Bev Cigler, Penn State – MPA Program