It’s time to vote in the #ELGLKnope Round of 32! Read about this matchup, and then submit your vote! One vote per email address, please. We’ll tally the votes and will post the next round of matchups on Tuesday!
Northglenn Wastewater Treatment Facility
2350 West 112th Avenue, Colorado 80234
- Three words to describe Northglenn Wastewater Treatment Facility: Efficient, Sustainable, Reliable
- Why are you nominating Northglenn Wastewater Treatment Facility: I am nominating them for recent efforts they have made to help our residents and citywide operations:
1) Set a goal to cut power usage by 10% at the facility for sustainability and cost efficiency purposes. An outside contractor was brought in and through the optimization of air usage in the biological nutrient removal process, the facility saved 17% on energy usage in the last year.
2) The data from COVID-19 wastewater testing by the facility as allowed the city to react and pivot based on spikes in the data two weeks earlier than the state has released numbers and made decisions based on their data.
3) Recently decommissioned a raw sewage lagoon to fill with dirt for potential sustainability efforts in the future
4) Responsive to resident complaints about odor from the facility. The facility has spent $80k in new technology to oxygenate the water to help mitigate the odor. Further, they are working with a consultant and applied with the state to pilot a program to add chemicals to the water to help further reduce odor. This has been a long process but worth it if it furthers helps our residents improve their quality of life. The application is currently in the public comment period.
5) Collaborated with the Parks Department who wanted to start a tree nursery. It is on unused land at the facility being watered by reclaimed water.
- Anything else to share? When I told the Operations Manager of the facility that I am applying on their behalf for this award, he was hesitant to provide me with details because his co-workers don’t see themselves as award-worthy- they’re just doing their jobs and don’t want any recognition. I told him, well good news is that the City Manager’s Office is applying for you so you can blame us! They are very dedicated to their community and take pride in their work. We believe they are deserving and thank ELGL for the opportunity to recognize wastewater (and water, stormwater) facilities!
Anna Texas Elevated Storage Tank
Anna, Texas 75409
- Three words to describe Anna Texas Elevated Storage Tank: essential, impactful, enlightening
- Why are you nominating Anna Texas Elevated Storage Tank: While this tank is not unlike many water tower across the country, what sets this tank above your basic water storage facilities, is that is is essential to the growth and development of our great explosive growth city, being centrally located geographically in our jurisdiction. It is impactful as it is a major marketing and branding element being in proximity of a major US highway nearing interstate traffic counts of 100,000 daily trip, at our highest elevation where it can be seen from surrounding cities miles away, and enlightening as it is a source of hometown pride, where the Anna logo is proudly displayed and it is lit up with different color schemes and themes based upon the events of our neighbor, celebrating holidays, supporting the Anna Coyotes High School football team, support our Anna Police Dept, and many other community supported events.
- Anything else to share? The water tank was the gathering place for the parade to virtually honor the Anna High School graduating Class of 2020 for the virtual graduation procession that went through the City and our great neighborhoods. Using this water tower as a marketing tool has been a landmark of our community success.