The Oregon chapter of ICMA, OCCMA, would like our ELGL members to be aware of an upcoming free webinar! The California ICMA chapter will be hosting a webinar on Taking Smart Risks. This webinar will include such topics as: when is it make sense to take a risk and when doesn’t it? Read on for more information.
Coaching Program Webinar
TAKING SMART RISKS
1:00 – 2:30 p.m. PT, Wednesday, April 9, 2014
Cal-ICMA Coaching Program in partnership with ICMA State Association Coaching Partners: Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, and Wisconsin
*** Advance registration required for this no-charge webinar***
- When does it make sense to take a risk and when doesn’t it?
- How do you manage the risks to serve the best interests of your agency and your career?
- What are examples of how people have successfully (and unsuccessfully) navigated these issues and what can we learn from them?
- Sherilyn Lombos, City Manager, Tualatin, OR
- Dan Singer, City Manager, Goleta, CA
- Kevin O’Rourke, retired City Manager, Fairfield, CA, and interim CM for Stockton & Santa Ana
Audience: All Employees
- Register in advance for the webinar. There is no charge for participating in the webinars, but each requires advance registration: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/
- Connect with the webinar and audio: Use your logon information from the email confirmation you receive via email from GoToWebinar. We recommend the telephone option dial-in number provided by GoToWebinar for sound quality. Depending upon your internet connection, VOIP option for audio (computer speakers) can have delays or sound quality issues.
- Ask questions: You may submit questions anonymously via email to [email protected] in advance or via the webinar during the panel discussion. As moderator for the session, Don Maruska will pose the questions.
- Presenters’ presentation materials: We post these with the agenda at “Agendas & Archives” tab of http://cal-icma.org/coaching. The PPT will be available at least 2 hours before the webinar.
After a webinar occurs, a digital recording along with a PDF of the presentation materials and results of the polling questions will be available after 24 hours at the “Agendas & Archives” tab of http://cal-icma.org/coaching.
Post-Webinar Group Discussions:
Many agencies are organizing groups to participate in the webinars (live or recorded) and discuss the topics among themselves after the webinars. Some are summarizing their discussions and distributing them to managers throughout their organizations. Use the Coaching Program as an effective way to enhance professional development in your agency. Here are some discussion starters for this session.
- What are examples in our agency of people taking risks and what can we learn from them?
- What are current and upcoming situations in which we will need to navigate significant risks to serve the public?
- How can we be supportive of one another to do our best work?
MORE RESOURCES–See the “Coaching Corner” at http://cal-icma.org/coaching for valuable resources to boost your career. Sign up for the complimentary email list to keep informed of future Cal-ICMA sessions and resources at http://cal-icma.org/