What better way to learn about a new ELGL member than a series of extremely personal questions that may or may not be work related. That is our goal in the New Sensation feature. Whether it is learning about a person’s top accomplishments in the last 24 hours or learning about the inside of their car, you will learn more in this feature than the unbelievable awkward icebreaker.
Assistant to the City Manager at City of Canton, SD
Education: University of South Dakota, Master of Public Administration, State and Local Government
Connect with Canton, SD: Facebook, Twitter, and World Wide Web
Q & A with Tyler
Three projects that you are working on.
- My professional report for the University of South Dakota MPA program. I’m looking at how social media can increase the engagement of citizens in rural cities
- Revising/updating the Canton Personnel Manual
- Adding Canton as a Tree City USA
Three accomplishments in the last 24 hours.
- Completed payroll for the last pay period
- Updated city of Canton website
- Helped with a housing survey for our economic development corporation
Your longest public meeting. A recent commission meeting lasted a little over 2 hours. Nothing too terrible.
Songs on your iPod’s Recently Played list.
- Dear Mr. President – Fitz and the Tantrums
- Even Flow – Pearl Jam
- Take a Walk – Passion Pit
- Sunshine – Atmosphere
- Africa – Toto
Best piece of advice from your parents. Be aware of who you surround yourself with
Excluding family, give you three of your career mentors.
- John Prescott, City Manager, Vermillion, SD
- Andy Colvin, Assistant City Manager, Vermillion, SD
(Complete the sentence) Before I die I want to….Make everyone around me better.
Should government be run like a business?
Yes. In terms of budgeting and the day-to-day, a business mindset should be at the forefront of every government entity. However, there should also be a layer that resembles a caretaker. Whether its at the local or the federal level, a government should, first and foremost, be concerned with taking care of its citizens.
Worst movie you’ve ever seen. Spring Breakers
Worst CD you’ve ever bought. Baja Men “Who Let the Dogs Out” –to be fair, it was all the rage
Three defining news events of your lifetime.
- Start of the War on Terror
- Acceptance of same-sex marriage
(Complete the sentence) I know this makes me sound old but……I’m only 23, so…I remember MySpace.
Last time you checked your cell phone. Just now.
Describe the inside of your car. Managed chaos
Song(s) that remind you of summer. Call Me Maybe – Carly Rae Jepsen
(Complete the sentence) In 2018, local government will be …………largely the same; however, It will be more deeply entrenched with big data, which will improve service delivery. Citizen engagement will increase via the influence of social media and an increasingly connected mobile world.
Biggest misconception about government. “They” don’t listen
What’s the meaning of life? Screwing up a lot in the pursuit of getting it right
Finally, what question(s) should I have asked?
- Where I went to school? The University of South Dakota
- As a child, what did I want to be when I grew up? Fireman and Dolphin trainer
Previous Profiles: New Sensation