The Willamette University College of Law is hosting an event that should be of interest to anyone wanting to know about how fiscal distress from the Great Recession is affecting local governments. For the 2014 Spring Symposium the college is having an all day long presentation exploring the issues facing local governments. This presentation will have a law focus but will be a learning opportunity for anyone interested.
Here is the list of panels and speakers:
- Developments in Municipal Bankruptcy Law
- Regional Cooperation and State Takeovers
- Local Fiscal Distress in Oregon: Timber Counties and Beyond
- Michelle Wilde Anderson: Assistant Professor, UC-Berkeley Law
- Cliff Bentz: Oregon Legislature
- Oren Haker: Attorney, Stoel Rives LLP, Portland, Ore.
- Wally Hicks: Oregon Legislature
- Carolyn Long: Associate Professor, Washington State University-Vancouver
- Justin Long: Assistant Professor, Wayne State University School of Law
- Sheila Martin: Associate Professor, Portland State University
- Samir Parikh: Associate Professor, Lewis & Clark Law School
- John Philo: Legal Director, Sugar Law Center, Detroit, Mich.
- James Spiotto: Managing Director, Chapman Strategic Advisors, Chicago, Ill.
- Christopher Tyson: Associate Professor, Louisiana State University Law Center
Willamette College of Law CLE
Under Pressure: Fiscal and Regional Difficulties Facing Local Governments
For the last five years local governments have experienced a wave of fiscal distress unmatched since the Great Depression. Aggressive policy responses like municipal bankruptcy and state takeovers have raised difficult questions about local democracy and the state’s role in supervising municipal governments.
Join Willamette University College of Law for the 2014 Law Review Spring Symposium Under Pressure: Fiscal and Regional Difficulties Facing Local Governments, a day-long presentation featuring panels of local and national experts who will explore these issues in Oregon and beyond.
Friday, February 28, 2014
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
John C. Paulus Lecture Hall, Room 201
Willamette University College of Law
245 Winter St. N.E., Salem, OR
Approved for 4.75 general CLE credits.
Register online and learn more at: http://willamette.edu/wucl/
For more information contact Reyna Meyers at 503-370-6046.