ELGL’s mission is to connect, communicate, and educate. In this ongoing series, ELGL members tell their story including how they got into local government. Today we hear from Jessica Beise, City of Victoria, MN.
My most frustrating experience in local government was….when after hours of research on the topic of snow plowing and a formal presentation the councilor who initiated the policy discussion built consensus that the current policy was sufficient after all. Although frustrating it was a good learning experience on managing expectations.
My top three career accomplishments are…
- leading two cities I have worked for to become GreenStep Cities for sustainability efforts,
- managing the hiring process for 10 positions, and
- successfully implementing social media efforts for two cities.
When no one else is in the car, I…..sing very loudly.
I aspire to….become a City Manager.
Right now, I am working on….our City’s Centennial Celebration.
Here are three tips for interviewing……
- be genuine
- have confidence
- have fun.
In terms of telling the local government story, I think local government….serves as the front line, providing the services that residents utilize on a regular basis from streets to water. Local government is the closest to the people we serve and we work hand in hand with residents to shape their community.
If I could start a non-profit to assist local government, I would focus on….providing HR assistance.
For the next person that you interview, I would ask…
…what is your favorite breakfast item?
You should have asked me….why I am passionate about local government?
I worked for a US Senator during college. I really enjoyed seeing firsthand how the legislative process works but I felt as if I was too far removed from our constituents. Local government gives you a chance to make policy decisions for those in your community. Local government provides a dialogue with those you serve that is meaningful and can inform and shape your decisions.
My Story – Archives
- Aimee Kane, City of Boulder, CO
- Emily Vincent, City of Olathe, KS
- Toy Beeninga, City of Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Heidi York, Person County (NC) Manager
- Barack Matite, City of Eudora, KS
- Cathy Wilson, Town of Carrboro, NC
- India Adams, Albemarle County, VA
- Derek Matheson, Kent (WA) Chief Administrative Officer