Each week Graham Caulfield, Expert Resume Man, will provide tips for improving your resume. Graham is an expert at helping career transitioners present themselves to their best advantage with potential employers.
- Prioritize the achievements and duties on your résumé by importance and significance to the job you desire.
- Begin your résumé with a professional summary – 6 to 10 sentences – highlighting strengths, experience, and education.
- Best to provide greater detail for the past 10-15 years, and less detail for earlier experience.
- Don’t repeat achievements – or tasks – under multiple jobs. If listed earlier on your résumé, skip it or revamp it.
- Don’t over emphasize skills unrelated to the job you apply to. Employer may assume you are not suitable.