Welcome to the new and (somewhat) improved version of our member introductions. If you are puzzled by the column name, take a minute to watch the above scene from Austin Powers.
ELGL is expanding into undergraduate colleges and universities throughout this great land of ours. Our first partnership is with Washington State-Vancouver. Ashlyn Salzman, a WSU-Vancouver undergraduate, will lead those efforts. Ashlyn also serves as the Director of Legislative Affairs for The Associated Students of Washington State University Vancouver.
Q & A
(Complete the sentence) Today is…… The first day of fall!
Your hometown? What is it best known for?…
My hometown is Edgewood, Washington. It is probably not well known for much, but nearby is the Puyallup Fair, which is famous for its scones.
Describe the state of local government in your area.
The local government in Clark County is extremely accessible.
What topics or practitioners would you like to see ELGL profile?
How universities can develop relationships with their local businesses in order to provide opportunities for jobs and returns business to the local economy.
(Complete these phrases) Best thing about the….
- 80’s was…….the hair. All the hair.
- 90’s was……Sky fairies. Best toy of the 90s.
- 00’s was…..Technological advancements (unlimited texting, please!)
- Last year was…..getting involved in student government at WSU Vancouver.
- Today is….it’s the first day of fall! Bring on the pumpkin spice lattes.
If you could interview any three people (dead or alive), who would it be?
- Abraham Lincoln
- Emma Watson
- Nelson Mandela
(Complete this sentence) I feel old when I…drink black coffee.
What are the best things about the internet?
All the information at your fingertips.
Parent(s) can be influential in career choices of their kids. What was the career path of your parent(s)?
My dad went to technical school and has worked at Boeing for 20 years. My mom just recently went back to school and is obtaining a Master’s degree from Missouri State while she works as a para-educator at a local elementary school. Their perseverance and dedication have taught me the importance of a job well-done and the value of education as a stepping stone to my career goals.
(Complete the sentence) ELGL is……a great resource for those looking to make connections and get involved with their local governments.
Where do you hear about ELGL?
I heard about ELGL from a professor of mine on Facebook.
Give us two ideas for attracting and retaining talented individuals to the public sector.
People are attracted to public sector jobs when they have high levels of public service motivation. In order to appeal to those who have talents to utilize in that field, it is important to instill values of service in kids as early as possible. Public sector jobs are also good places for those looking to make improvements to their community and to organizations, as there is a lot of room for growth and innovation in the field.
What’s one question that we should ask the next person who completes this profile?
What has inspired you to become engaged with your local government?
(Complete the sentence) Tomorrow is…….National Voter Registration Day!
- Tim Wolff, Lake Isabella, MI Village Manager
- Adrienne Burke, Fernandina Beach, FL
- Julie Eckenrode, Town of Carrboro, NC
- Cathy Wilson, Town of Carrboro, NC
- Brandi Leos, Clackamas County
- Christian Williams, City of Goodyear, AZ
- Justyn Miller, Boone County, IL
- Liza Druck, City of Cincinnati, OH
- Sarah Bledsoe, City of Beacon, NY
- Jared Wiener, Portland Development Commission
- Nathan Mehmed, West Michigan Regional Planning