Welcome to the new and (somewhat) improved version of our member introductions. If you are puzzled by the column name, take a minute to watch this scene from Austin Powers.
Sarah Bledsoe (LinkedIn) is the assistant to the mayor in Beacon, NY. She’s responsible for responsible for assisting the Mayor with daily tasks, research projects, writing assignments, and other political tasks. Along with her work in Beacon, she is enrolled in the MPA program at Pace University. Her undergraduate degree came from Sacred Heart University.
Q & A with Sarah
(Complete the sentence) Today is…….
…Thursday, September 11, 2014, exactly 13 years since the tragedy that struck our Country. It is a solemn day, filled with memories, sadness, gratitude for our servicemen and women and in particular our first responders, my brother included.
Your hometown? What is it best known for?
My hometown is Stormville, New York and it is best known for the Stormville Flea Market which takes place every holiday weekend in the summer months with thousands of vendors and visitors. There is always a good find!
Describe the state of local government in your area.
I work for a small city about 50 miles north of New York City. We are an innovative community with interesting demographics. The political party lines are often challenged and crossed, keeping things interesting for sure!
What topics or practitioners would you like to see ELGL profile?
- Urban/municipal planning topics
- Affordable housing administration
(Complete these phrases) Best thing about the….
- 80’s was……. The big hair and bright colors
- 90’s was…… boy bands
- 00’s was….. high school!
- Last year was….. my first year of grad school, the year I started my job/career in local government
- Today is…. Busy! But I am thankful for today because I love my job, I am almost done with my MPA and on the 13th anniversary of 9/11 I am grateful for the health and safety of my family and friends.
Beacon 9-11 Ceremony 2014 from Peter Skorewicz on Vimeo.
If you could interview anyone (dead or alive), who would it be?
- Sheryl Sandberg because I read her book, Lean In and she is one of the most real-life inspirational people I have ever come across.
- Dr. Seuss because the way his mind worked absolutely amazed me and I think having the opportunity to talk to him would be an incredible experience
- Robin Williams because he was so talented as an actor but so caring and selfless in his off-stage life. He was not only funny, but smart and loving as well and having.
- “Jackie O” because she was so well put-together all the time and given the life she led and the stress that she was under, I would love the opportunity to ask her how she did it and how she handled everyday life.
(Complete this sentence) I feel old when I…….. I see the kids I used to babysit, driving, going to their prom, looking at colleges and making real-life decisions.
What are the best things about the internet?
INFORMATION. The ease with which you can find out any kind of information you could ever hope for is the greatest thing about the internet. I don’t know how we lived without it.
Parent(s) can be influential in career choices of their kids. What was the career path of your parent(s)?
My dad is an entrepreneur and incredibly hard working. He owns his own business and has for my entire life. He put countless hours into his job and I like to think that I got some of my work ethic from him. His ability to focus and work as hard as he does is inspirational and it is what I strive for in my everyday life. My mom was a stay-at-home mom until I went to high school when she got a job in local government. The fact that I chose the same path is largely a coincidence but I also look to her for some guidance at times because she understands my job and I understand hers. It’s fun to compare!
(Complete the sentence) ELGL is…… a resource and a network that I am excited to work with and learn more about!
My boss encouraged me to look into it and consider joining and I am very glad she did. I am excited to be part of this organization and learn more about it as I get more involved.
Give us two ideas for attracting and retaining talented individuals to the public sector.
Talk to colleges – the best way to access students is through their advisors and professors. Train them, encourage them and hire them!
(Complete the sentence) Tomorrow is……. Friday! Fridays are my favorite days because I get caught up with everything from the week and I get to enjoy the following couple of days with friends and family. This Friday is particularly exciting because I leave for Charlotte, NC for the ICMA Conference on Sunday!