ELGL is sharing this information for our friends at the Harvard Kennedy School Executive Education programs. Learn more below and apply today!
As someone working in state and local government, you face many challenges as you strive to make your communities the best they can be. If you’re looking to learn new approaches to policy-making, policy-implementation, and leadership while enhancing your network of colleagues facing similar challenges, read on.
Harvard Kennedy School Executive Education offers certificate programs taught by HKS faculty for a global community of practitioners like yourself. Two upcoming programs may be of interest and relevance to you and your work:
Implementing Public Policy
Dates: May 16 – December 9, 2022 (on campus June 11-17)
Application Deadline: April 4th
Contact: [email protected]
This seven-month program consists of three phases, blending online and on-campus learning, and provides an opportunity to dive into a policy implementation challenge and apply what you learn in real-time in your context.
Areas of focus include:
- Problem identification and deconstruction;
- implementation frameworks, with a focus on Problem Driven Iterative Adaptation (PDIA);
- navigating stakeholders and authorizing environment;
- creating, convening, and sustaining successful teams;
- negotiating space to act and having difficult conversations, and more!
Upon completion of the program, you will join the Implementing Public Policy Community of Practice, a growing network of alumni who focus on continued learning in policy implementation. Hear from alumni about their experience in the program or learn about the progress they’ve made on their blogs.
Senior Executives in State & Local Government
Dates: June 6 – June 24, 2022 OR July 11 – July 29, 2022
Application deadline: April 11
Contact: [email protected]
For over 40 years, Senior Executives in State & Local Government has been training elected, appointed, and career officials from state, local, and county governments. Working with Harvard faculty and your fellow participants over the course of a three-week program, you will strengthen your ability to exercise effective leadership in rapidly changing political and social environments while honing your analytical and policy development skills.
Senior Executives in State & Local Government has several fellowships available to support participation in the program. See below for a selection of fellowships that are still open; you can also find a full list on our website.
- David Bohnett LGBTQ Leaders Fellowship: Provides fellowships for openly lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer state, county, and local officials. Application deadline: April 4
- Cahn Public Service Fellowship: Supports senior public officials who plan to bring problem-solving skill and acumen to elected office. Applicants can be in non-elected positions or already in elected office and planning to seek higher office; recipients must attend the July session of the program. Application deadline: April 11
- Josefowitz Fellowship: Awarded annually to three senior-level civil servants working in California with a preference for applicants from the Bay Area. Application deadline: April 11