ELGL is headed to Mills College for an
#ELGLInspire program on April 19, 2019!
Lorry I. Lokey School of Business and Public Policy
Mills College | GSB Building,
5000 Macarthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94613
Friday, April 19 | Noon – 3:30
Noon – Arrive, check in, catered lunch
12:15 – Welcome from ELGL
12:30 – Quick Fire Presentations From Local Government Practitioners
These are fast-paced, four minute presentations about the challenges and opportunities in each sector of local government.
- Chris Hsiung, Mountain View – Police
- Danielle O’Leary, San Rafael – Economic Development
- Jennifer Ott, Hayward – Administration
- Kimbra McCarthy, Redwood City – Finance
- Mai-Ling Garcia, Oakland – Digital Services
- Melissa McDonough, Berkeley – Strategy & Performance Mgmt.
- Rafat Raie, San Rafael – Public Works
- Carolyn Wu, San Jose – Innovation
- Warren Logan, San Francisco – Transportation
- Greg Preece, Oakland – HR
1:30 – Campfire Conversations With Local Government Practitioners
Students will choose a table where they will learn from the Quick Fire practitioners in a small group setting. After 10 minutes, students will rotate to a new table. This will be done four times so that every student gets a chance to sit with five practitioners to ask questions and hear from them about their path into local government and how they realized it was the career for them.
2:30 – What’s Next? Pursuing Public Service Careers
This moderated session includes panelist discussions on career paths, as well as the chance for audience questions. Panelists include local government practitioners, MPA program representatives, and sponsor organization representatives.
- Rebecca Woodbury, San Rafael
- Shanalee Gallagher, Evanston, IL
- Kendra Davis, Santa Clara
- Joey Garcia, Torrance