#ELGLInspire: University of Texas – San Antonio
November 7, 2018
Buena Vista Building – Assembly Room (BV 1.338).
Presentations & Networking: 12:30 – 3:00 p.m. – Lunch provided
This unique program inspires students to pursue local government careers.
ELGL is a professional association that engages the brightest minds in local government.
This event is held on the UTSA campus. Lunch is included. Speakers will include local government professionals from Texas local governments. Students will have ample time to learn from practitioners, connect with them about future potential internships and jobs, and learn more about finding a local government job after graduation.
12:30 – Arrive, Lunch Served
12:40 – Welcome
Today’s #ELGLInspire program and lunch provided by: the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA), Texas City/County Managers Association (TCMA), and the Urban Management Association of South Texas (UMAST).
12:40 – Quick Fire Presentations
These short, four-minute presentations by local government practitioners provide an overview of the many different career paths offered in local government. Speakers will use stories and visual aids to share what makes their field of expertise unique and exciting:
- Sereniah Breland, Pflugerville – Administration
- Casey Camors, Texas Tech – Accounting
- Jamie Eustace, Baytown – Library & Innovation
- Ana Romero, College Station – Parks & Rec
- Joe Salvaggio, Leon Valley – Police
- Will Hampton, Round Rock – Communications
- Crystal Caldera, Leon Valley – Human Resources
1:15 – Campfire Conversations
Students will chose a table to go to where they will learn from the practitioners in a small group setting. After 10 minutes, students will rotate to a new table. Students have the chance to sit with practitioners to ask questions and hear from them about their path into local government and how they realized it was the career for them.
- Notes for students: You will hear from different local government practitioners, try to pick out who you want to hear from ahead of time but select some backups in case the table is full for your first choice. In advance of the event, connect with the practitioners on LinkedIn so you have a chance to read more about their career and education backgrounds.
- Notes for speakers: Start with your major and career path into local government, including what made you realize this was the career for you. Then take questions from the students. This will be a little repetitive but we want to create opportunities for the students to form meaningful connections with practitioners. Feel free to bring materials from your HR offices about internships, fellowships, and employment opportunities.
2:15 – What’s Next? Pursuing a Public Sector Career
This Q&A panel will explore how to find a local government job, or the graduate degree paths you can pursue. The first half will focus on moderated questions and answers, and the second half will open up for audience questions.
- Lauron Fischer, San Antonio
- Kristopher Ryan, San Antonio
- Marco Hinojosa, San Antonio
- Diana Clendenin, College Station
3:00 – Close & Networking