Favorite book of all-time:
“The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”, Douglas Adams
Book that is on your nightstand right now:
“End This Recession Now!”, Dr. Paul Krugman
(Fill in the blank) When you wake up in the morning, you are motivated by………
If you ran for elected office, what position would you run for?
Is “Sexiest Man Alive” an elected or appointed position? I can never remember… 🙂
Your best piece of career advice:
Never, ever underestimate the capacity of a large organization to make a blindingly stupid decision.
Your favorite social media outlet:
I’m not much of a social media person (I don’t even have a Facebook page…)
Which actor/actress would play you in a movie?
What is the home page on your web browser?
gmail – boring, I know…
Biggest issue facing local government:
- Public’s painful lack of understanding of how local government works and what services we provide
- Complete and total demonization of taxation
Two things that people will say about you at your retirement party:
- “How lucky is this guy…he has something called PERS. Apparently in retirement he actually gets money from the state instead of having to pay extra to the state to balance the budget like we do!”
- “Looks like our intern is finally getting an office…”
First concert that you ever attended:
Rush, “Grace Under Pressure” tour, with the Gary Moore Band opening, at Memorial Coliseum.
Name three of your mentors:
- Jim Hough (Banks city manager and elder statesman)
- Eileen Stein (Sisters city manager)
- fellow Yankee-hater Joe Gall (Sherwood city manager)
Who is at the dinner table if you could invite any three people (dead or alive)?
- John Lennon
- Jack Kennedy
(Fill in the blank) Government….
performing admirably under fire. (Bell, CA not included)
(Fill in the blank) ELGL is ……..
better than a cold Belgian ale on a hot summer’s day
Previous Lightning Round Profiles
- Amanda Lamb, City of San Diego, CA
- Elisa Hamblin, City of Portland
- Norma Alley, City of Newberg
- Mary Beth Henry, City of Portland
- Debbie Matheney, Eugene School District
- Jessica Struyk, City of Gresham
- Petra Schuetz, City of Coburg
- Rhyan Van Horn, TriMet
- Mark Stotik, Clackamas County
- Heidi Starks, West Slope Water District
- Teri Bankhead, City of Milwaukie
- Anthony Petchel, Bank of the Cascades
- Pat Mobley, Portland State University
- Ashley Graff, University of Kansas
- Eric Chambers, City of Gresham
I’m the co-founder and executive director of ELGL. I love my job. Other things I love: local government, my family, my dog Michael Jordan, sandwiches, naps, books, and skee-ball.