ELGL is headed to Nashville for the International City/County Management Association (ICMA) conference, October 20 – 23, 2019! We have some members joining us for the conference. Here’s what our members are most looking forward to at the conference!
City Administrator at City of Fountain Inn
This will only be my third ICMA Annual Conference (Charlotte and Kansas City). I’ve never been to Nashville before, but I’ve heard nothing but great things. So far, things are shaping up nicely for this trip/conference. For one, it is only about a five and half hour drive from the Greenville, SC area so I was able to save money by not having to purchase an airline ticket (I’ll have my car available too). Even better though, my Missouri Tigers (BA Political Science 2008) are playing at Vanderbilt on Saturday, October 19th at 3:00 p.m. of which me and my fraternity brother will be attending.
On Sunday, I’m looking forward to the biannual Government Affairs and Policy Committee (GAPC). Each year, this volunteer ICMA committee meets during the ICMA annual conference and in Washington DC in March during the National League of Cities Congressional City Conference. ICMA’s GAPC tracks federal and state policy issues to further Association goals (see more at icma.org/public-policy).
The Exhibit Hall Grand Opening Reception: A Taste of Nashville that Sunday evening sounds phenomenal. Afterwards, I’ll be attending the ICMA and Friends Equity Mixer.
The ICMA Annual Conference is after all, a work event. Some session titles that piqued my interest:
- Obviously, all the Keynote and Featured Speakers are must attends
- Beyond Diversity: An Inclusive Workforce for 21st-Century Outcomes
- Recycling is Broken: An Update on the Crisis
- Advancing Racial Equity: The Role of Government
- Advice to My Younger Self: Avoiding Career Killers
- How to Be Family Friendly in the Workplace
- Community Cohesion through the Arts
- Everything You Wanted to Know about Cyber Risk (but Were Afraid to Ask!)
- Making Government Work for All: Tools and Measures to Advance Equity
- The Balancing Act of Being a Parent and a Chief Executive
- Non-Cash Employee Benefits
On Monday, October 21st, the Municipal Association of South Carolina is hosting a reception and dinner. That evening, I’ll be heading to the Digital Afterparty for an evening of bocce ball and local government revelry hosted by ELGL, Citibot, CityGrows, FlashVote, mySidewalk, and PublicInput.com.
Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. I’m checking out of my hotel on Wednesday and making the trek back to the real word.
You can find a rundown of ELGL’s events and activities, plus a link to a What’sApp group so you can stay connected with ELGL during this large conference in this complete list.