Sherwood is a dual threat – he is an intern in the City of Aurora’s finance department and a student at Northern Illinois University’s Master of Public Administration program. Prior to these positions, Sherwood worked eight years for various non-profits including Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital. His undergraduate degree is from Northern Illinois University.
Q & A with Sherwood
In this wide-ranging interview, Sherwood shares his proudest accomplishments, driving techniques, and an articulate vision for ELGL – giving aspirants and seasoned veterans the room to enhance their capacity
80’s was……. Being born!
90’s was…… Power Rangers
00’s was….. Technology boom
Last year was….. Expanse of public administration best-practices
Today is….Being alive
Tell us about three accomplishments that you are most proud of.
- Being close to graduating the NIU MPA program;
- Improving the City of Aurora’s public service delivery efficiency and effectiveness;
- Helping Chicago Family Directions 503c3 in its fundraising efforts
(Complete this sentence) I feel old when I……..feel my knees giving out
Tell us about two mistakes that you’ve made that we can learn from.
- Do not use conversational language in an e-mail
- Do not drive with your knees
Give us three of your favorite YouTube videos.
- Any kind of sports blooper video
- Jackson 5-Blame it on the Boogie
- ICMA Life-Well Run videos
Our annual conference will be held in October 2014. Name three topics or speakers that should be included on the conference agenda.
- Minority public administrators;
- Going Green; and
- Mother: Imports/Exports
- Father: Car repairman, College Professor
Name three of your mentors and describe them in five words.
- LaDonna Carr- Very intuitive and helpful
- David Allen- Very direct and informative
- Clayton Muhammad- Very comical
Your hometown…..what is it best known for?
City of Aurora-Wayne’s World and crime (the latter is now a relic of history)
How can ELGL best contribute to the public sector?
By giving aspirants and seasoned veterans the room to enhance their capacity
Give us two items that are broken in local government.
- Public trust
Fast forward one year, what will factor into your decision on whether to renew your ELGL membership?
N/A- I will renew
Give us two ideas for attracting and retaining talented individuals to the public sector.
- Keep pay the way it is
- Pluck administrators and aspirants in the nonprofit sector
What questions should we have asked?
Too many to put in here
What question(s) do you have about ELGL?
Too many to put in here…however…
How do you plan on enhancing the notoriety of ELGL?
I’m the co-founder and executive director of ELGL. I love my job. Other things I love: local government, my family, my dog Michael Jordan, sandwiches, naps, books, and skee-ball.