City of King, North Carolina
Appalachian State University MPA Student
Education: Guilford College, Bachelor of Arts
Experience: Airborne Infantry Team Leader, US Army; Veterans’ Service Representative, Department of Veterans Affairs; and Intern, Town of Seven Devils
Q & A
(Complete these phrases) Best thing about the….
90’s was…… Internet
00’s was….. Discharged from the Army and graduated college
Last year was….. Starting graduate school
Today is…. Hope for tomorrow!
Tell us about three accomplishments that you are most proud of.
- My son
- Graduated from college
- Served in the Army
(Complete this sentence) I feel old when I……..exercise.
Name two people that would you want in your dream selfie.
Tell us about two mistakes that you’ve made that we can learn from.
- Never let someone else determine your path for you.
- Give your all in the moment. Don’t look back and regret not doing something you could have done.
Give us three of your favorite YouTube videos.
- Any Fail Army video
- Newfie meets snow
- Babies laughing
Our annual conference will be held in October 2014. Name three topics or speakers that should be included on the conference agenda.
- Where to find the jobs and how to get your foot in the door.
- Affordable Care Act and its effect on local government.
Parent(s) can be influential in career choices of their kids. What was the career path of your parent(s)?
My parents’ lack of career path was influential on me. They all ended up in thankless jobs and/or laid off. All working to make someone else rich.
Name three of your mentors and describe them in five words.
- JD Shelton: Smart, funny, leader, supportive, honest.
- Ed Evans: Trustworthy, honest, humble, supportive, encouraging.
- David Crossin: humble, patient, understanding, leader, smart.
Wooster, Ohio. Where Rubbermaid began.
How can ELGL best contribute to the public sector?
Helping young, eager, qualified professionals get their foot in the proverbial door.
Give us two items that are broken in local government.
- Intergovernmental cooperation.
- Revenue systems.
Fast forward one year, what will factor into your decision on whether to renew your ELGL membership?
Whether or not it has expanded my network of like-minded professionals.
- Sell the public service aspect. People want to serve the public good, but do not necessarily put public sector employment together with public service.
- Flexible schedules and work at home opportunities.
What questions should we have asked?
- How did you hear about ELGL?
- Why did you join ELGL?
What question(s) do you have about ELGL?
(more of an observation) The website is a little difficult to navigate. Could you modify the menu options a little?