Voting for the 2022 Best Places in Local Government (aka the #ELGLKnope) Round of 32 opens on March 7, 2022 and closes at midnight PT on Friday, March 11, 2022. One vote per person. Learn more about this award online.
Pinellas County Heritage Village
Largo, Florida 33774
- Year(s)/Era: Late 19th and early 20th centuries
- Type of Place: Site
- Nomination: Heritage Village was a creative solution to a common problem: how to preserve a community’s oldest settler buildings when an area is undergoing rapid development and redevelopment. It’s a particular problem in Florida, where properties are being repurposed all the time.
- Most notable attribute(s): The village is a collection of more than 30 county’s oldest and most historic buildings spread over 21 acres of natural pine and palmetto landscape. It’s both a lovely park and a step back in time, and is adjacent to the Florida Botanical Gardens.
- Special designations or recognitions: Not that I’m aware of.
- Three words to describe: creative, historic, fun
- Anything else to share? The mission of Heritage Village is to inspire exploration of Pinellas County’s story by designing unique programs and exhibits, facilitating research, and collecting and preserving local history.
Clearwater, Florida 33756