As we prepare for the ELGL & ICMA joint event at the ICMA Conference, attendees describe the current state of local government, their mentors, ways to strengthen local government, and of course, their dream six-pack. Raise Your Hand If You’re Going “Back to the Future” with ELGL and ICMA.
New Concord, OH Village Administrator
1. Name your career mentors.
Julia Novak – The Novak Consulting Group – President
Dave Anderson – Liberty Township, Ohio – Township Administrator
Joe Stefanov – City of New Albany, Ohio – City Manager
2. Describe the current state of local government.
I think that local governments are becoming more innovative and flexible. The change is slow but it is happening! With a new generation of workers that demand very different things than their predecessors did it is forcing local government employers to change how things are done. This is also true with external service delivery and the customers that local government is now serving. They also want different things than past generations! It’s an exciting and challenging time to be in this profession.
3. During her presidency, Bonnie Svrcek encouraged ICMA members to do “Just One Thing” for the organization. What’s one thing can we do to strengthen local government?
Reach out to young people who haven’t determined their career path yet! Go speak to undergraduate political science classes and high school government classes. Create internship or shadowing opportunities for students who are interested in “testing” out local government administration. Show them the value and benefit of public service, for those providing the service and those receiving it!
4. In keeping with the beer tasting theme, tell us what we’d find in your ideal six pack.
- Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
- Killians Irish Red
- Plaid Ferret Scottish Ale
- New park a cornfield for now
- Give Yourself Permission to Manage
- New Sensation: Charlotte Colley, City of New Albany
- My Corner of the World with Charlotte Colley
- Charlotte Colley named new village administrator
- Haley Kadish, The Novak Consulting Group
- Simeon Switzer, Kent County Department of Veterans Affairs
- Jennifer Frederick, Village of Twin Lakes, WI
- Sarah Hazel, City of Charlotte, NC
- Lauren Brune, UNC-Chapel Hill MPA Program
- Dave Waffle, City of Beaverton, OR
- Pam Brangaccio, New Smyrna Beach, FL
- Tracy Miller, Sarasota County, FL
- Jason Damweber, Town of Chapel Hill, NC
- John Stefanski, City of Hayward, CA
- Karen Pinkos, City of El Cerrito, CA
- Chris Morrill, City of Roanoke, VA
- Matthew Hawkesworth, City of Rosemead, CA
- Heather Geyer, City of Wheat Ridge, CO
- Greg Larson, Town of Los Gatos, CA
- Jeff Towery, City of Springfield, OR
- Elisabeth Wright, Village of Gilberts, IL
- Mitch Foster, Kingsley, MI, Village Manager
- C. James Ervin, Town of Rocky Mount, VA
- Tamara Lynn Schaps, Evans School of Public Affairs
- Eric Norenberg, Oberlin (OH) City Manager
- Joe Casey, Henrico County, VA, Deputy County Manager
- Jason Escareno, San Mateo County, CA
- Ann Janda, Milton, VT
- Lee Worsley, Durham County
- Dan Weinheimer, Fort Collins, CO