As we prepare for the ELGL & ICMA joint event at the ICMA Conference, attendees describe the current state of local government, their mentors, ways to strengthen local government, and of course, their dream six-pack. Link: Raise Your Hand If You’re Going “Back to the Future” with ELGL and ICMA.
Beaverton, OR – Assistant Finance Director
1. Name your career mentors.
- Alan Tubbs, Planning Director – Lansing MI
- Prof. Charles Levine – Michigan State
- Ron Paddock, Mayor – Oakridge, OR
2. Describe the current state of local government.
Fun, exciting, somewhat stressed
3. During her presidency, Bonnie Svrcek encouraged ICMA members to do “Just One Thing” for the organization. What can we do to strengthen local government?
Encourage young professionals to become involved in local government either as a career or to serve on a committee
4. In keeping with the beer tasting theme, tell us what we’d find in your ideal six pack.
I might find by abs, but they may be lost. Perhaps a 6 of Waffle Haus Ale!
- Pam Brangaccio, New Smyrna Beach, FL
- Tracy Miller, Sarasota County, FL
- Jason Damweber, Town of Chapel Hill, NC
- John Stefanski, City of Hayward, CA
- Karen Pinkos, City of El Cerrito, CA
- Chris Morrill, City of Roanoke, VA
- Matthew Hawkesworth, City of Rosemead, CA
- Heather Geyer, City of Wheat Ridge, CO
- Greg Larson, Town of Los Gatos, CA
- Jeff Towery, City of Springfield, OR
- Elisabeth Wright, Village of Gilberts, IL
- Mitch Foster, Kingsley, MI, Village Manager
- C. James Ervin, Town of Rocky Mount, VA
- Tamara Lynn Schaps, Evans School of Public Affairs
- Eric Norenberg, Oberlin (OH) City Manager
- Joe Casey, Henrico County, VA, Deputy County Manager
- Jason Escareno, San Mateo County, CA
- Ann Janda, Milton, VT
- Lee Worsley, Durham County
- Dan Weinheimer, Fort Collins, CO