As we prepare for the ELGL & ICMA joint event at the ICMA Conference, attendees describe the current state of local government, their mentors, ways to strengthen local government, and of course, their dream six-pack. Link: Raise Your Hand If You’re Going “Back to the Future” with ELGL and ICMA.
Rosemead, CA – Assistant City Manager/Finance Director
1. Name your career mentors.
Glenn Southard, retired Indio (CA) City Manager
Ron Clark, retired Finance Director.
2. Describe the current state of local government.
Unsustainable in its current state. Our ability to generate revenue continues to diminish while the demand for services continues to increase.
3. During her presidency, Bonnie Svrcek encouraged ICMA members to do “Just One Thing” for the organization. What’s one thing we can do to strengthen local government?
Make more decisions based on the big picture and not necessarily what’s easy today.
4. In keeping with the beer tasting theme, tell us what we’d find in your ideal six pack.
Coors Original, New Belgium Fat Tire, Guinness Stout, Modelo Negro, any craft Stout, and any craft Red.
- City Manager Glenn Southard Announces Retirement
- La Verne finance officer to retire after budget process
- Rosemead Names New City Manager
- A Local Official’s Guide to Online Public Engagement
- Heather Geyer, City of Wheat Ridge, CO
- Greg Larson, Town of Los Gatos, CA
- Jeff Towery, City of Springfield, OR
- Elisabeth Wright, Village of Gilberts, IL
- Mitch Foster, Kingsley, MI, Village Manager
- C. James Ervin, Town of Rocky Mount, VA
- Tamara Lynn Schaps, Evans School of Public Affairs
- Eric Norenberg, Oberlin (OH) City Manager
- Joe Casey, Henrico County, VA, Deputy County Manager
- Jason Escareno, San Mateo County, CA
- Ann Janda, Milton, VT
- Lee Worsley, Durham County
- Dan Weinheimer, Fort Collins, CO