As we prepare for the ELGL & ICMA joint event at the ICMA Conference, attendees describe the current state of local government, their mentors, ways to strengthen local government, and of course, their dream six-pack. Raise Your Hand If You’re Going “Back to the Future” with ELGL and ICMA.
1. Name your career mentors.
Mark Pentz, retired City Manager from Rockville, MD and Chandler, AZ
Julia Novak, former Deputy City Manager from Rockville, MD and Rye, NY and currently CEO of The Novak Consulting Group
2. Describe the current state of local government.
Funding and tax base challenges are a big part of it as the economic recovery is inconsistent across the US. Many local governments are falling behind in key capital infrastructure investments
3. During her presidency, Bonnie Svrcek encouraged ICMA members to do “Just One Thing” for the organization. What’s “one thing” we can do to strengthen local government?
4. In keeping with the beer tasting theme, tell us what we’d find in your ideal six pack.
Since I’m gluten intolerant, it would be a six pack of Omission Beer which uses the same ingredients as traditional beer and through a special process is able to remove the gluten after brewing.
- ACMA Honors Mark Pentz with 2010 DeBolske Award
- Rockville says goodbye to Pentz
- Local Government Technology Services
- Evaluating Your IT Department | transformgov.org
- Ron Holifield, Stategic Government Resources
- Greg Stopka, Alliance for Innovation
- Ratna Okhai, University of South Florida MPA
- Pam Weir, City of Sierra Vista
- Wilson Hooper, City of Charlotte, NC
- Charlotte Colley, Village of New Concord, OH
- Haley Kadish, The Novak Consulting Group
- Simeon Switzer, Kent County Department of Veterans Affairs
- Jennifer Frederick, Village of Twin Lakes, WI
- Sarah Hazel, City of Charlotte, NC
- Lauren Brune, UNC-Chapel Hill MPA Program
- Dave Waffle, City of Beaverton, OR
- Pam Brangaccio, New Smyrna Beach, FL
- Tracy Miller, Sarasota County, FL
- Jason Damweber, Town of Chapel Hill, NC
- John Stefanski, City of Hayward, CA
- Karen Pinkos, City of El Cerrito, CA
- Chris Morrill, City of Roanoke, VA
- Matthew Hawkesworth, City of Rosemead, CA
- Heather Geyer, City of Wheat Ridge, CO
- Greg Larson, Town of Los Gatos, CA
- Jeff Towery, City of Springfield, OR
- Elisabeth Wright, Village of Gilberts, IL
- Mitch Foster, Kingsley, MI, Village Manager
- C. James Ervin, Town of Rocky Mount, VA
- Tamara Lynn Schaps, Evans School of Public Affairs
- Eric Norenberg, Oberlin (OH) City Manager
- Joe Casey, Henrico County, VA, Deputy County Manager
- Jason Escareno, San Mateo County, CA
- Ann Janda, Milton, VT
- Lee Worsley, Durham County
- Dan Weinheimer, Fort Collins, CO