As we prepare for the ELGL & ICMA joint event at the ICMA Conference, attendees describe the current state of local government, their mentors, ways to strengthen local government, and of course, their dream six-pack. Link: Raise Your Hand If You’re Going “Back to the Future” with ELGL and ICMA.
New Smyrna Beach, FL City Manager
1. Name your career mentors.
Ron Schutta, City Manager of West Palm Beach, FL in the late 80s & early 90s, who was my first “big city” boss. He handled very large redevelopment projects to a young AACM (I was 30) and let me run with them. He would stop me sometimes and say “Mrs. B is there something you need to tell me?
Mrs. Lavon Wisher, the first female County Manager in the State of Florida in Lee County (she was my first city manager, as a young budget analyst in the 1980s) and scared me a little; as I was 22 & just out of grad school, but took my side often when Directors would complain about my asking them tough questions on their budgets.
2. Describe the current state of local government.
Scary! The challenges continue to grow, as the Federal & State governments continue to “reduce” services and cut funding to community programs;
Political Party politics are now being inserted in local non-partisan elections; in Volusia County this year, one political party provided an endorsement card for non-partisan school board & judicial & local races, it resulted in some less-than-qualified candidates, who will bring nothing positive to the table.
ON a positive, more & more citizens believe that if they get involved, they can make a difference, so we are getting excellent citizens on advisory boards & task force assignments within the City.
3. During her presidency, Bonnie Svrcek encouraged ICMA members to do “Just One Thing” for the organization. What can we do to strengthen local government?
“SHOW UP” at City hall every day with a mission of doing good/complete/quality staff work, with a goal of supporting your staff, commission & community. Also remember to be “Brave enough to start the conversations that matter” with these three groups.
4. In keeping with the beer tasting theme, tell us what we’d find in your ideal six pack.
2 each, Lite Coronas, Shocktop & Blue Moon Beers, would be the prefect six pack for any time of the year!
- Member Spotlight: Pam Brangaccio
- Schutta Named City Manager
- On Point – Archives | icma.org
- New Smyrna Beach City Manager Pamela Brangaccio
- Tracy Miller, Sarasota County, FL
- Jason Damweber, Town of Chapel Hill, NC
- John Stefanski, City of Hayward, CA
- Karen Pinkos, City of El Cerrito, CA
- Chris Morrill, City of Roanoke, VA
- Matthew Hawkesworth, City of Rosemead, CA
- Heather Geyer, City of Wheat Ridge, CO
- Greg Larson, Town of Los Gatos, CA
- Jeff Towery, City of Springfield, OR
- Elisabeth Wright, Village of Gilberts, IL
- Mitch Foster, Kingsley, MI, Village Manager
- C. James Ervin, Town of Rocky Mount, VA
- Tamara Lynn Schaps, Evans School of Public Affairs
- Eric Norenberg, Oberlin (OH) City Manager
- Joe Casey, Henrico County, VA, Deputy County Manager
- Jason Escareno, San Mateo County, CA
- Ann Janda, Milton, VT
- Lee Worsley, Durham County
- Dan Weinheimer, Fort Collins, CO