As we prepare for the ELGL & ICMA joint event at the ICMA Conference, attendees describe the current state of local government, their mentors, ways to strengthen local government, and of course, their dream six-pack. Raise Your Hand If You’re Going “Back to the Future” with ELGL and ICMA.
City of Sierra Vista, AZ – Management Analyst
1. Name your career mentors.
George Pettit – Associate Director, School of Public Affairs, Arizona State University
Mary Jacobs – Assistant City Manager, Sierra Vista, AZ
Darin Atteberry – City Manager, Fort Collins, CO
Dan Weinheimer – Policy and Project Manager, Fort Collins, CO
2. Describe the current state of local government.
Local government is uniquely positioned to address growing challenges to communities. With less support from federal and state governments, municipalities are left to step up and provide for residents. Revenue diversification, economic development, and regional and cross-sector partnerships have never been more important.
3. During her presidency, Bonnie Svrcek encouraged ICMA members to do “Just One Thing” for the organization. What can we do to strengthen local government?
Talk to each other. An issue is rarely unique to just one local government. By sharing successes and struggles with networks of local governments, professionals can learn how to strengthen their own governments and help others to do the same.
4. In keeping with the beer tasting theme, tell us what we’d find in your ideal six pack.
Having just moved away from Fort Collins, CO, I am hooked on their local microbrews:
- Old Bisbee Brewing Company- Copper City Ale
- Equinox Brewing- Eclipse Brown
- Odell Brewing- Levity
- New Belgium Brewing- Yuzu
- New Belgium Brewing- 1554
- Funkwerks Brewing- Dark Prophet.
- Local Government Today: Interview with Darin Atteberry
- Quick Take: Dan Weinheimer, Fort Collins, CO
- Meet the Marvins – The School of Public Affairs
- Assistant City Manager Mary Jacobs applies values to job
- Charlotte Colley, Village of New Concord, OH
- Haley Kadish, The Novak Consulting Group
- Simeon Switzer, Kent County Department of Veterans Affairs
- Jennifer Frederick, Village of Twin Lakes, WI
- Sarah Hazel, City of Charlotte, NC
- Lauren Brune, UNC-Chapel Hill MPA Program
- Dave Waffle, City of Beaverton, OR
- Pam Brangaccio, New Smyrna Beach, FL
- Tracy Miller, Sarasota County, FL
- Jason Damweber, Town of Chapel Hill, NC
- John Stefanski, City of Hayward, CA
- Karen Pinkos, City of El Cerrito, CA
- Chris Morrill, City of Roanoke, VA
- Matthew Hawkesworth, City of Rosemead, CA
- Heather Geyer, City of Wheat Ridge, CO
- Greg Larson, Town of Los Gatos, CA
- Jeff Towery, City of Springfield, OR
- Elisabeth Wright, Village of Gilberts, IL
- Mitch Foster, Kingsley, MI, Village Manager
- C. James Ervin, Town of Rocky Mount, VA
- Tamara Lynn Schaps, Evans School of Public Affairs
- Eric Norenberg, Oberlin (OH) City Manager
- Joe Casey, Henrico County, VA, Deputy County Manager
- Jason Escareno, San Mateo County, CA
- Ann Janda, Milton, VT
- Lee Worsley, Durham County
- Dan Weinheimer, Fort Collins, CO