As we prepare for the ELGL & ICMA joint event at the ICMA Conference, attendees describe the current state of local government, their mentors, ways to strengthen local government, and of course, their dream six-pack. Raise Your Hand If You’re Going “Back to the Future” with ELGL and ICMA.
Strategic Government Resources (SGR) Founder & CEO
1. Name your career mentors.
2. Describe the current state of local government.
- There is a growing pipeline problem… too many of the best and brightest do not want to endure the hassles of the CM role and are choosing not to pursue CM positions;
- Too many organizations are under investing (or not investing at all) in developing the next generation of leaders) which is ensuring a leadership crisis in the not too distant future;
- the political environment too often celebrates ignorance and mean spiritedness. This makes leading in local government the most difficult and personally costly it has been in my career; and
- There is a desperate need for a new generation of leaders to prepare themselves to step up.
3. During her presidency, Bonnie Svrcek encouraged ICMA members to do “Just One Thing” for the organization. What’s one thing we can do to strengthen local government?
Quit being afraid of getting fired.
4. In keeping with the beer tasting theme, tell us what we’d find in your ideal six pack.
Diet Mountain Dew
- Ron Holifield Bio – Strategic Government Resources
- Knope of the Week: Tom Muehlenbeck
- Video: ELGL & SGR Present The Legacy of LP Cookingham
- On the Public Record with Ron Holifield
- Quest for new city manager continues
- Seeking stability after loss of 5 officials
- Greg Stopka, Alliance for Innovation
- Ratna Okhai, University of South Florida MPA
- Pam Weir, City of Sierra Vista
- Wilson Hooper, City of Charlotte, NC
- Charlotte Colley, Village of New Concord, OH
- Haley Kadish, The Novak Consulting Group
- Simeon Switzer, Kent County Department of Veterans Affairs
- Jennifer Frederick, Village of Twin Lakes, WI
- Sarah Hazel, City of Charlotte, NC
- Lauren Brune, UNC-Chapel Hill MPA Program
- Dave Waffle, City of Beaverton, OR
- Pam Brangaccio, New Smyrna Beach, FL
- Tracy Miller, Sarasota County, FL
- Jason Damweber, Town of Chapel Hill, NC
- John Stefanski, City of Hayward, CA
- Karen Pinkos, City of El Cerrito, CA
- Chris Morrill, City of Roanoke, VA
- Matthew Hawkesworth, City of Rosemead, CA
- Heather Geyer, City of Wheat Ridge, CO
- Greg Larson, Town of Los Gatos, CA
- Jeff Towery, City of Springfield, OR
- Elisabeth Wright, Village of Gilberts, IL
- Mitch Foster, Kingsley, MI, Village Manager
- C. James Ervin, Town of Rocky Mount, VA
- Tamara Lynn Schaps, Evans School of Public Affairs
- Eric Norenberg, Oberlin (OH) City Manager
- Joe Casey, Henrico County, VA, Deputy County Manager
- Jason Escareno, San Mateo County, CA
- Ann Janda, Milton, VT
- Lee Worsley, Durham County
- Dan Weinheimer, Fort Collins, CO