As we prepare for the ELGL & ICMA joint event at the ICMA Conference, attendees describe the current state of local government, their mentors, ways to strengthen local government, and of course, their dream six-pack. Link: Raise Your Hand If You’re Going “Back to the Future” with ELGL and ICMA.
ICMA Local Government Management Fellow
1. Name your career mentors.
Jon Scarlett, National Field Organizing Director – One amazing leader who gave me opportunities beyond what I thought myself capable and helped me rise to challenges
2. Describe the current state of local government.
The local government of today is ripe with opportunity. There is room for innovation, collaboration, and building strong connections between residents and government. We are on the right track because of great professional managers!
3. During her presidency, Bonnie Svrcek encouraged ICMA members to do “Just One Thing” for the organization. What can we do to strengthen local government?
We need to tell great stories about our work. Local Government professionals have amazing stories to tell about supporting and transforming communities. We need to connect people to the work that makes a difference in their lives and attract diverse bright minds to our organizations.
In keeping with the beer tasting theme, tell us what we’d find in your ideal six pack.
- Something dark – oatmeal stout
- Something sweet – pear cide
- New Sensation: Leisha DeHart-Davis
- Willow S. Jacobson | School of Government
- Canvass Leadership Staff » – Grassroots Campaigns
- ICMA Local Government Management Fellows
- Lauren Brune, UNC-Chapel Hill MPA Program
- Dave Waffle, City of Beaverton, OR
- Pam Brangaccio, New Smyrna Beach, FL
- Tracy Miller, Sarasota County, FL
- Jason Damweber, Town of Chapel Hill, NC
- John Stefanski, City of Hayward, CA
- Karen Pinkos, City of El Cerrito, CA
- Chris Morrill, City of Roanoke, VA
- Matthew Hawkesworth, City of Rosemead, CA
- Heather Geyer, City of Wheat Ridge, CO
- Greg Larson, Town of Los Gatos, CA
- Jeff Towery, City of Springfield, OR
- Elisabeth Wright, Village of Gilberts, IL
- Mitch Foster, Kingsley, MI, Village Manager
- C. James Ervin, Town of Rocky Mount, VA
- Tamara Lynn Schaps, Evans School of Public Affairs
- Eric Norenberg, Oberlin (OH) City Manager
- Joe Casey, Henrico County, VA, Deputy County Manager
- Jason Escareno, San Mateo County, CA
- Ann Janda, Milton, VT
- Lee Worsley, Durham County
- Dan Weinheimer, Fort Collins, CO