As we prepare for the ELGL & ICMA joint event at the ICMA Conference, attendees describe the current state of local government, their mentors, ways to strengthen local government, and of course, their dream six-pack. Link: Raise Your Hand If You’re Going “Back to the Future” with ELGL and ICMA.
Sarasota County (FL), Strategic Management Advisor
1. Name your career mentors.
There are too many to mention but I’d highlight Katy Simon, Jim Keene and Tom Bonfield.
2. Describe the current state of local government.
In flux. How will the recession morph local government resource levels? How will generational changes effect government from the organization and community viewpoint? It is an interesting time of opportunity and uncertainty to chart a course and leave a legacy.
3. During her presidency, Bonnie Svrcek encouraged ICMA members to do “Just One Thing” for the organization. What can we do to strengthen local government?
Simplify our approaches and communication so what we do has more meaning to our employees and our citizens.
4. In keeping with the beer tasting theme, tell us what we’d find in your ideal six pack.
For me it would be bud light on tap… not actually a six pack. I think bowling alley beer is the BEST!
- NC: Tom Bonfield, City of Durham City Manager
- Tom Bonfield’s Gutsiest Decision
- James Keene named new Palo Alto city manager
- New Sensation: Tracy Miller, Sarasota County
- The Road Ahead for Sarasota County
- Jason Damweber, Town of Chapel Hill, NC
- John Stefanski, City of Hayward, CA
- Karen Pinkos, City of El Cerrito, CA
- Chris Morrill, City of Roanoke, VA
- Matthew Hawkesworth, City of Rosemead, CA
- Heather Geyer, City of Wheat Ridge, CO
- Greg Larson, Town of Los Gatos, CA
- Jeff Towery, City of Springfield, OR
- Elisabeth Wright, Village of Gilberts, IL
- Mitch Foster, Kingsley, MI, Village Manager
- C. James Ervin, Town of Rocky Mount, VA
- Tamara Lynn Schaps, Evans School of Public Affairs
- Eric Norenberg, Oberlin (OH) City Manager
- Joe Casey, Henrico County, VA, Deputy County Manager
- Jason Escareno, San Mateo County, CA
- Ann Janda, Milton, VT
- Lee Worsley, Durham County
- Dan Weinheimer, Fort Collins, CO